Koshirae

uwe

Dear Uwe.

For what it's worth I think this is a perfectly acceptable rig, leather wrapped handachi koshirae with removable hangers.Of course we are only going from one image but do some looking around leather wrapped koshirae and see what you think.

All the best.

• Like 1

@Colin

Thanks a lot for your opinion. I don’t think it is the case here. It’s a museum piece and in the collection since around 1900.

@ Alex

That’s possible. The curator provided me only this picture. I’ll check back as soon I’m there again…

@ Geraint 

I’ve never seen such a mounting bevor. Hence I’m a bit perplexed. The problem is, that I have to name (or classify) it, in order to describe the piece for the publicly accessible digital collection 🤔

• Thanks 1

Dear All.

Scroll to the end of page 2 on this thread and there is a leather covered daisho, 

For the koshirae in the original post I suppose the test would be does it have a kurikata on the other face? If no then I think it's aleather covered tachi, if it has a kurikata then handachi with removaeable ashi.  I favour the former idea as the kurikata, if present would be a pain when worn as a tachi.

I suspect that given the condition this is a Shinshinto copy of an early koshirae, compare here for a more elaborate version, https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20802/lot/394/

Any chance of a better image Uwe?

All the best.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..