small iron SUKASHI TSUBA

ROKUJURO

Gentlemen,

I could use a little help from you as this TSUBA is a bit enigmatic to me. I think it has traits of KO-SHOAMI and also ONO.
It measures 63 x 61 x 5,7 mm. Surface is MIGAKI-JI with no TEKKOTSU. The patina is milk-chocolate brown. 

The design is that of INOME and ? (probably not MYOGA)

I would appreciate to have members' opinions on this one. 

Thank you in advance!

P.S. And Dan: No, it is not cast!

Neuerwerb Dez 2022  90812.jpg

Neuerwerb 12 2022   90756.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi Jean,

Found that tsuba on a internet search. Described as Myoga design (Japanese ginger), Ko-shoami school. The design is a bit more intricate in the sukashi than your first tsuba, but there are two hearts and a very artistic plant look a like 😎👍

Best regards

Soren

C4175BE1-ED91-42B1-8D0B-71D490459232.thumb.jpeg.e52bde8aa416255042b6ee202f7afb3d.jpeg

Jean, yes they are not Myoga leaves - not sure which species is depicted but there was a thread way back with "Ashi-ba" leaves being linked to Druma crossing the Yangtze river so there may be some religious connection. Just a thought outside the box.:dunno:

Posted November 5, 2020

Yes, it looks like a eucalyptus leaf. The two long leaves "芦葉 ashi-ba" are said to be the vessel when Daruma-daishi crossed the Yangtze River.

芦葉達磨図鐔 土屋國保 (Ashiba-daruma-zu tsuba Tuchiya-kuniyasu)

https://blog.goo.ne.jp/tsuba_001/e/c67d2d029ca71af62e8e4719adf8e395

芦葉達磨図小柄 銘 徳乗作 光美(花押) (Ashiba-daruma-zu koduka (Goto)tokujyo-saku kobi(kao))

http://aoyamafudo.co.jp/product/427/

image.thumb.png.b19775cc96a152878e7ca9d0129ba9b3.png

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Spartancrest said:

Jean, thank goodness you didn't include me as an "expert" I would have been offended! :rotfl:

Dale,

apologies, my fault! I simply forgot to insert "the other" (experts). You are certainly one of the greatest and "helpiest" on NMB!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Jean, Ono I get, but have you considered Yagyu? Some similar characteristics I see.

Piers,

thank you!

The DARUMA TSUBA well illustrates the story behind the appearance of the leaves on TSUBA!

The design of mine might look familiar for YAGYU, but I have never held an authentic one in hand. From photos of these, I always see a 'sandy' iron surface which my little TSUBA doesn't show. So I am still a bit clueless, but often TSUBA have mixed features that can be found in several schools. That does not make it easier!

But in this case, the TSUBA in question has some age I think, so I hope that an assignment will be possible. 

45 minutes ago, OceanoNox said:

Piers, is it correct to assume Yagyu tsuba usually have a theme linked to Shinkage ryu's teachings?

Dunno, the idea makes sense, I’ve seen it written and heard the rumours, so guilty until proven innocent I guess, but I’d be interested to find out more! 

The reason for my question is that I have checked in a book (100 tsuba and sword accessories, a guide to evaluation and appreciation, by Kazuo IIDA and Michiko HIRUTA, Tankosha (2004)), and there are two Yagyu tsuba.

The first is round with a triangle whose tips are pierced with a round hole each. It is said to refer to the 三磨 (sanma, the three learnings).

The other is a "billowing sail", which is said to be a teaching about imitating the power or movement of a sail.

• Like 1

Hi Jean,

I have a tsuba with a similar design to yours, pictures attached.  It has a dark brown patination and is :Height: 6.8 cm: Width: 6.7 cm: Thickness: 0.5 cm: Weight: 99 g.  The iron has a melted look resembling Yagyu work and maybe it is a Yagyu design, but it is cast.  The casting lines on the inner edges of the sukashi are easy to spot and I have just taken a pic in poor light.

When I look at your pics I can see lines on the inner edges of the mimi, particularly on the right side of the photos.  Maybe its the lighting, but they look like casting lines of a mould to me.

Best regards, John 

19a.JPG

19b.JPG

19c.jpg

John,

thanks for your post!

Of course I had looked before under magnification and found no indication for a casting process. In response of your comment, I made two more photos of the SUKASHI insides which in my opinion show that the TSUBA was made traditionally.

ONO TSUBA   05 2022.jpg

ONO TSUBA 2022  3749.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jean,

I was only going by your original pics.  I've attached part of one and highlighted the lines on the inside of the mimi.  They look like casting edges and appear in both your pics.  But as I said it may have been your photos.  Without having the tsuba in hand that is all I had to go on.  Your latest pics look OK.

Best regards, John

Jean2.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..