Request for Help Translating a Type 98 Mei

CrossOfLorraine

Hello,

Before I get to my question I would like to thank all the board members for sharing their knowledge.  I recently inherited two Shin Gunto from my grandfather, one Type 95 and one Type 98, and have enjoyed learning more about them by reading related posts.  Both swords were purchased at least 40 years ago, probably in Europe along with a variety of other swords I have received, but that is the extent of what I know about their provenance. 

On the Type 98 nakago there is a Showa stamp above the mekugi-ana but I haven't been able to identify the hot stamp or the mei, and can only decipher a few characters of the date.  Any help in translating these would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,

Mark

nagako.png

mei2.png

IMG_20220724_210627763.jpg

Type98.jpg

• Like 1

Yes Mark and Thomas, smith is Kaneuji and dated October, 1941 (10th month, Showa 16).  There are 2 Kaneuji listed, he looks to be  “Kaneuji” (兼氏), real name Yoshida Reiichi (吉田鈴市), he was a Seki-based guntō smith.  Shown in Slough p. 72.

kaneuji.jpg

• Like 1

Yes F&G has lots of info.  Also he was born Meiji 14 (1881) January 13,  real name Yoshida Suzuichi ,  in Naka-machi, Seki and was  early on a registered smith in Seki on Showa 13 (1938) September 9 , at age 57.  He is in the 1942 Kurihara tosho list as Ryoko no Retsu (Ge Saku) 7th level of 7. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..