Just a few pics of hamon

Utopianarian

On 12/13/2022 at 9:42 PM, george trotter said:

Yes Volker, that post-war Masakuni making knives is the elder brother 2nd Gen. I think he died in 1990.

I think he turned to knife-making as the post-war demand for swords steadily declined. There may not even be a swordsmith left in Osaka now - not sure.

Your sword is great - similar hamon characteristics to my Yoshisada....great swordsmith family.

Regards...

Oops, I made a mistake Volker san...the Okishiba  line is 1 gen Masatsugu had 2 sons: 2nd gen Masatsugu and Yoshisada.

2 gen Masatsugu's son was Masakuni and he was the knifemaker after the war.

Sorry for the mix-up...

Regards.

Thanks Volker, I enjoy research as well.

Here is a OKIMOTO / OKISHIBA line doc from The NBTHK journal series of articles NIHON GENDAITO SHOSHI BY UCHIYAMA.

You will see the line you are interested in on the left side (where a member of the Okimoto family becomes an OKISHIBA).

This OKIMOTO / OKISHIBA smith is the 1st Gen Okishiba Masatsugu.

You will see he had 2 sons, the elder being 2 Gen Masatsugu and the younger Okishuba Yoshisada.

2 Gen Masatsugu has the son Okishiba Masakuni and a younger son NOBUSHIGE. Your Masakuni is the one who went into knifemaking.

The "pencil alterations" at the beginning of the 1 Gen Masatsugu line and at the 2 Gen Masatsugu line were done by Nobushige when we corresponded in 2006. He was very helpful on my research into Okishiba Yoshisada.

Hope this helps, ask any questions you like....

NGS Chap 5 p.7  #151 1969 Journal NBTHK.jpeg

• Like 1

Dan C wrote:

>  A few pics of my Shichibeijo Sukesada. Taken in a dark closet with 2.5x zoom and flash with a I-Phone 8. Need to do it again with my 11 and see better results.

Could you please post a pic of the mei full tang and closeup???

Thanks,

BaZZa.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 7:29 AM, Bazza said:

Dan C wrote:

>  A few pics of my Shichibeijo Sukesada. Taken in a dark closet with 2.5x zoom and flash with a I-Phone 8. Need to do it again with my 11 and see better results.

Could you please post a pic of the mei full tang and closeup???

Thanks,

BaZZa.

it is o-suriage. Attribution by NTHK.

sk 13.jpg

Sukesada Paper Translated 1.jpg

Sukesada Paper Translated 2.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..