WW2 Japanese Gunto Katana Signed Tadayoshi

This is a common signature, the first part is "Hizen Kuni...." the rest is good practice. The below links are valuable to have bookmarked:

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/faq/question/14-kanji-used-in-names/

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/faq/question/16-provinces-used-in-mei/

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/faq/question/17-useful-and-common-kanji/

• Like 2

Hi hate to hav to post this but need help since Im thinking of buying I’ve been looking for a older sighted sword but don’t want to make a 2000 mistake !

I need help with the age I think it’s a Shinto late Koto 26.772 inch blade 

Is the signature is ok and 

condition of blade 

description

Nagasa/ Blade length: 68 cm

Overall length in scabbard: 101.5 cm

Koshirae/Fittings high quality, with original tassle. Lacquer on wood scabbard. Has silver mon.I believe it’s 

Blade: Reasonable polish, lots of activity, very very nice (albeit hard to photograph). The blade has bee well cared on has a scent of choji oil. No nicks, some areas of fade to polish. In hand the sword is very nice. The only blemish is that previously, Surely when fitted out with Gunto koshirae, the habaki was moved up a short distance, with the Nagasa being slightly shortened and under the habaki are marks. 

F2090373-347C-455C-8BC0-CF8B8664A8A9.jpeg

0ADA2B4A-7D06-4A50-B6FD-DAF5456AB466.jpeg

6EB6C0C1-FB36-4E15-A684-9DECEB59716C.jpeg

1CF87862-D767-4829-80B6-DAFE17FD8C5A.jpeg

54DE7A0C-AA85-44C4-B67E-E541EAEC3F60.jpeg

FD66FD63-2392-438A-8444-81E168AD49F1.jpeg

68FED820-E04D-4268-9898-1552475DCD3E.jpeg

• Downvote 1

Steve,

I am afraid the description tells nothing of value, and the photos are not helpful. No NAKAGO pictures with a signature. It seems to be a relatively straight blade (as found in KANBUN era). Mounting is military WWII so no connection to the SAMURAI era.

What is it that you like?

Hi Steve,

If all the pictures in this post are of the same blade (hard to tell for certain) the signature is Hizen no Kuni no Junin Tadayoshi Saku. This is a very big name and forged signatures are common. If it is a true main-line Hizen-to I'd expect it to be priced much higher than $2K (if sold by a knowledgeable seller). The hada doesn't look to be typical for the school and the sugata may be wrong (looks to be a typical shape for Kanbun era but the Hizen smiths often, if not usually, worked with a stronger sori. Not saying this is gimei; just that you need to be careful (coming here before purchase was smart). Other guys might have a different take on the sword; I'm often wrong.

If you are a beginner you need to work with a seller you can trust.

Grey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The question should be: Did you get a good sword for $ 2.000.--? 

If you consider that a decent polish will cost you at least $ 2.500.-- plus SHIRA-SAYA plus HABAKI plus shipping plus the agent's handling, you are at about $ 5.000.-- minimum, but there is no chance to get it papered. It's not 'gimme', it is GI-MEI.

In a resale you will not get your money back that you have invested.

• Like 1

Ok supposedly is a true main-line Hizen-to I'd expect it to be priced much higher than $2K 

And it’s one of the best swords I’ve posted 

Despite being a gimei 

2000 is expensive for a gimei

my head is about to explode !’

Now I think it’s not worth paying 2000 and should pass

Steve,

a sword with a non-genuine signature is not necessarily bad or not good-looking. It may have been made some hundred years ago with good intentions. But to enjoy a blade and learn from it, you should be able to see the features, and that requires a good polish. 

It makes no sense to possess a blade in bad condition unless you can realistically expect to have it polished one day. But then you should be quite sure that the blade's value is increasing accordingly. 

But there is no strict rule for that. If you were wealthy enough to buy swords of any quality, you are of course free to have them polished and completed to your liking without looking at the resale value!

• Like 1

I really appreciate everyone’s feed back 

Considering everything I hav heard and know ! as you said a gimei isn’t necessary a bad sword probably another smith used the name to get more money Or others signed for him The question for me now is do i want to spend 2000 for a nice sword in old polish with a gimei 

Hi Steve,

Maybe we have confused you. This sword is not a main-line Hizen-to; it is something else with the signature of a main-line Hizen smith. The signature is cut too deep to be easily removed without leaving evidence of the forgery, which likely means it won't make sense to have it polished. What you'll have is a suriage (shortened), if not o-suriage (greatly shortened), Shinto katana with a fake signature and no up side, no place to go to make improvements. Not what you should want to collect; I think you can do better.

Grey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Steve, all the swords you post are a waste of money.   The days of bargain hunting are virtually over.  The swords that are posted on eBay and similar sites, have been picked over for years.  It's very hard to even get a good Gendaito for under US3k.   AGAIN!  you keep asking for opinions, because, obviously you don't know what you are looking at.   If you are serious about collecting Nihonto,  then you will seriously need to broaden your parameters.

• Like 6

Mainline Hizen 1st to 3rd generations of Tadayoshi/Tadahiro or Masahiro should start at 20k for a papered (T. Hozon) and polished blade with Koshirae. 

The reason you should and everyone should avoid Gimei is because when you look at gimei you are only able to identify the Hataraki as feature sets. They have no affiliation to the smith in question so if all you want to do is identify (ver bad) hataraki on a sword buy gimei. 

If you are now at 2k, wait till you save 2k more and buy a beautiful papered Tanto or Wakizashi and go from there, what is the rush? 

And stop asking about bullshit on ebay already, you've had the same answers for every post - its bullshit

• Like 2

I really appreciate everyone’s feed back 

Considering everything I hav heard and know ! as you said a gimei isn’t necessary a bad sword probably another smith used the name to get more money Or others signed for him The question for me now is do i want to spend 2000 for a nice sword in old polish with a gimei 

Believe it or not I hav bought all my swords on EBay from dealers I thought I could find another ! Going forward 

I’m sticking to people I know and won’t be posting any more crap swords !  Sorry for wasting every ones time!

I appreciate all your great help 

• Like 1