WW2 Japanese sword Koa Isshin Mantetsu katana

Any body hav additional information regarding this sword 

My concerns are is it  forging process

I did read the Japanese pours iron info a tube so it’s soft on the inside and hard on out side thus preventing it from breaking under extreme cold 

What we’re the different types of experimental steel ? It’s also noted that they we’re considered traditional! But I don’t think they folded in the traditional way!

I thought  they were rare until I read what Bruce said they cranked out 400 a month and a total of 38000 during WW2 

77F84C24-1F8B-4D95-833A-9FAD431A6552.jpeg

EADF9D4E-D932-43E9-8271-02B2D27848C2.jpeg

• Downvote 1

I was able to get a copy a page of John slough from a friend so it pretty much answers my questions 

These swords were made outside of Japan The best examples of these swords we’re produced in Japan so unless u know for sure it may not be the better one 

6 hours ago, Swords said:

My concerns are is it  forging process

Steve, what concerns you about it?  They were so popular, it is said they had a wait-list of officers wanting them.  As to traditional, there was nothing traditional about them - Manchurian steel, rod-in-tube construction - unknown quenching.  Did you read the SMR Mantetsu Article?  I honestly don't believe more can be said about them that's not already in it.  With full respect to Mr Slough, none of them were made in Japan.  There were 4,500 "unfinished" blades sent to Tokyo 1st for finishing to help them meet their yearly quota, but the blades were made by the Japanese mego-company South Manchurian Railway, or Mantetsu.  

Is that gunto up for sale online?  If, so, could you PM me a link so I can ask the seller for the serial number (unless you care to check into that for us!).

No problem, Bruce. Loved your article on the Mantetsu blade, however I am still unclear on one point. You note, very well I might add, the timeline for the mei and use of the logo stamp beginning in 1938. But did the use of the stamp continue or was it replaced by the mei?

Thank you,

John C.

1 hour ago, John C said:

But did the use of the stamp continue or was it replaced by the mei?

The last blade I have on file with the SMR logo is Spring 1939 N 574.  The rest all went over to the Koa Isshin slogan.  The company used the logo on all sorts of things like silverware, watches, even manhole covers, but on swords, the Koa Isshin slogan took over completely, until much later, when that was abandoned.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..