Another tsuba identification help

dir

I have a second tsuba which I am unsure about. At top, bottom and one side are what is perhaps stylized lightning (sort of spiral square - raimon). At right is another symbol - which might be a stylized vajra? Around the rim on each plate side I.e. not the outside of the rim itself) and wavy lines or scrolls - which I thought might be clouds - in keeping with the lightning (bolts)? If anyone could shed any light on it then I'd be grateful.

Thanks and regards

David

2A.JPG

2B.JPG

I was wondering if the large symbol on the cross piece might be a Vajra? But it looks like some archaic Chinese symbol. The 'spiral square' is what is called "greek fret" but obviously not Greek and not Manji pattern as it would have a swaztika like pattern

image.png.9ec5fff75c830ec67a02b9a06262cb76.png    image.png.670825c7ad95738732845554d76e95fa.png  image.png.2dd101087cd475a5075c40e9461162a0.png

I hope someone can come in with some more helpful information. I like the shape of the guard not a common shape at all, it has the look of wooden fretwork seen over temple doorways.

Kumiko patterns - image.png.889b4df064c31f417d5eebd2e2f7829f.png

It is good to see you still able to post Dale.

Record rains and flooded rivers where you are?

All is OK here, plenty of rain but not the deluge many places received 200kms north and east of here.

Many, many more houses and businesses going under, flooded, than was expected along the Maribyrnong river and the suburb of Maribyrnong (10-15km NW from Melbourne centre).

Stay safe down there.

Roger j

Hi Roger The business end of town [close to the river] was flooded for a few hours yesterday - I am 24 m further up in elevation, if we get flooded please send a submarine because half the state will be under water! :laughing: 

Hate to say it but it is a bit of a news beatup for us, but more serious inundation for smaller centres like Deloraine [central North of Tassie]

Sorry David for highjacking your thread :sorry:  I am actually struggling to find another guard like yours - which is not a bad thing, but 'unique' pieces are difficult to to assign school or period. Jean is very likely correct in it being Hizen or made somewhere around Nagasaki(?)

• Like 1

Agreeing with Dale's expression of difficulty in assigning school or period to such a tsuba, to me the OP's tsuba is certainly real and likely quite old, but for all that it has a rudimentary, agricultural 'look' to it.  I don't mean this to be critical, but rather to say it doesn't appear to have the 'finesse' of a 'school' piece.  So, might I suggest it was made by a local (rural??) craftsman seriously intended to be a practical tsuba.  I feel it fits the Hizen/Nagasaki connection.

BaZZa - but what do I know...

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments and ideas. I agree it is not a very fine specimen and does look a but rustic - that might fit in with my initial lightning interpretation! It is also fairly light (41gr) - the dimensions are 5.9x5.9 cm, and 3.4mm at rim. I will plough through some of my books and let you know if I come across anything resembling it!

Regards

David

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..