New Member Introductions

Hello,

I always thought a little about Japan because with the practice of martial arts.
Fascinated by katanas for a long time, I finally decided to try to move forward, understand and learn.
I also attach great importance to koshirae
But also by the way trying to pratice tsukamaki and sayamaki
And finally the iaido is also a good way to connect to the katanas.....(with iaitos )
looking forward to discussing, discovering and learning with you all.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

No, it is because of the time gone after posting. I think you have 12 hours to correct as a regular member. Gold members have more time. Gold membership is very recommended, it's only € 60.-- per year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jean. Regular members can edit posts for 48 Hours after posting. But newly registered members can't edit edit posts for a few days, to prevent "hit and run" spam posters from joining to add malicious or spam content a day later by editing their post.
Gold members have much longer time they can edit posts, and aren't under the new member restrictions from the start.

Brian

• Like 3

HI, I'm new here!

My name is Scott and I live in the Los Angeles area.  I have had a fascination with Nihonto and swords in general since I was a little kid, and that fascination even leaked over to my wife...at least a little bit.   My wife and I recently purchased 2 Nihonto in Shirisaya that are papered.  I also have been browsing here and reading The Samurai Sword by John Yumoto.   I'm a bit of an introvert and history buff, so scholarly pursuits are right up my alley.  

From what I can tell about our swords so far, one is a Late Edo Period Wakizashi  forged by a smith named Morihisa.  The other appears to be a Koto era Tachi partially signed by Hidemitsu.  Both are in good polish and present very nicely.   I also purchased proper supplies from Tozanda in Japan to maintain these blades correctly.  

I will get around to posting pics here eventually, but currently busy with some things and I haven't had the opportunity.   I also want to continue to read and study on my own to test whether these assessments are correct, but I did have a little help from a Facebook Nihonto group, but I was warned by a knowledgable person to be wary of online "experts"    

Lastly, I believe both of my swords were purchased from Mike Yamasaki, as he knew the previous owner of these swords.  I have reached out to him and had a short chat with him via Facebook Messenger, but so far haven't had an opportunity to speak with him directly yet...I know he is a very busy man.  I am also interested in attending a meeting at the Southern California Japanese Sword Society, but my work hours and the location of their meetings is a bit of a stretch for me right now....but perhaps down the road.   

Until then I will continue reading here and on my own to learn as much as I can.   It's certainly a fascinating thing, and who knows, maybe I will purchase more down the road to enjoy.  

Thanks! 

Scott

• Like 1

Hello,

After about a years lurking here and reading a lot, I finally decided to subscribe, I wanted to thanks the amazing dynamism of this forum and the work of Brian. your way of supporting the field of interest is the gentleman's way. And a subscription is worth buying few books.

That said I bought the books as well.

I'm a very beginner so i'll inevitably say stupid things in future posts. But the hobby is complex and exciting so I'll try.

I'm so sad not having discovered it sooner. My interest began after a family travel in Japan a year ago. the purchase of a iaito that brought me to a koryu then to nihonto. All in a few month.

I own three blade : an awful first purchase I paid to much (but I don't regret it), a cheap (maybe) mumei blade that I like pretty much (discussed here), and a middle range NBTHK TH shinto blade I love.

I'm waiting for a fourth one, a TH koto blade.

Oh and I will often apologize with my english for that I'm very unsecure. Please forgive my typos

Regards

Benjamin

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I obviously just registered on this forum and wanted to tell you that I'm glad I did.

As part of the arduous task of developing my (very, very modest) knowledge of Japanese swords, I often came to this forum. After consulting it countless times, it is obviously ,thanks to its members, a mine of knowledge and  nice place for talking and learn about Nihonto. I have seen thousands of pictures of swords but very little in real life. A few years ago I saw in a museum a Japanese sword that I never tired of looking at. A few weeks later I visited the "Cluny Museum" in Paris and when I saw the European medieval swords, they appeared to me like old heavy and rusty nails. The technical and artistic domination of Japanese in making swords seems to me to be dazzling.

Only right combination of passion, talent and a the "long term" can lead to that kind of artistic, historical an technical perfection.

I believe passion is the only thing we need and I hope to share this here with you.

PS: I'm 43, live in Switzerland (the French part), have 2 kids, many passions (my kids and wife, food, piano, history...)

(Please accept my apologies for my very sad and poor English)

• Like 4