New Member Introductions

Hello to everyone !

It's a great pleasure to join the NMB. My name is Sylvain, I'm 37, I'm living in France in the city of Versailles near Paris. I  started studying and collecting nihonto two years ago. I studied and enjoyed Japanese arts a few years ago, first by collecting woodblock prints. I moved then to warrior arts. That's where I am currently standing, and maybe in a few years, I'll move to Japanese netsuke, who knows ? Actually, if there is one person to blame about my great interest (obsession ?) in nihonto, it's Mr Paul MARTIN, for this true gentleman guided me to understand the basics of nihonto and helped me to submit some blades and tosogus at the NBTHK. Hachiman bless him ! ;-)

I hope to share and learn as much as possible with you guys !

Sly

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

I'm also a new member based in essex uk.I'm just starting out on my nihonto journey and am glad I've found this friendly group.I have a small collection of various pieces which I'll photograph for your amusement as I'm no expert.I am into polearms and spears all Japanese but also like swords.I hope to be posting and visiting the site regularly.

Rob hunt

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Greetings from Ohio,

Just signed up after lurking for awhile. Have a renewed interest in Japanese blades after a looong while. In the late 60's I bought a couple blades due to an interest in MilSurp rifles to supplement that interest. Subsequently sold/ traded them off to buy more rifles.

Times and politics change and most of the rifles went away, resulting in available display space. "What goes around.....".

For prospective, I was on the rifle range at Parris Island the day Kennedy died, have been retired for a few years, teach flyfishing for the Ohio DNR, and plunk on my ukuleles for peace of mind.

Cheers,

RonT

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, all just joined the site. I am 48 from the great white north - MN and have been interested in Martial arts and blades for a very long time. 

I am looking forward to learning what I can here. Thanks in advance for your patience with my ignorance.

Will need to look up that book mentioned earlier in the thread...

My mom is also into sharp things and is jealous of my new kit. Might have to get her a set in the near future after I learn a little more.

Regards,

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

My name is Dee from sunny southern California, and I just joined today. I've been interested in all things antique since I was a wee tot (and have a fondness for rescuing old things, even if they might not catch someone else's eye- funny that way...) I'm very interested in learning more about Japanese blades and fittings, and hoping to acquire some nice pieces as my knowledge increases.

If there are any good books for the rank beginner, I'm up for that, too.

Look forward to chatting with everyone!

Dee

• Like 1

Welcome Dee. There are a lot of good books for the beginner. You can check the FAQ for a list. I like the Swords of Japan by J. Bott available from Lulu for a great price. Check the thread on Lulu codes that will give you a discount on the price. Here is a link to that book.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/joseph-bott/the-sword-of-Japan/paperback/product-21557328.html

Regards,

Barry Hennick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone, it's a great pleasure to join the NMB, I'm here to learn! 

My name is Francesco Marinelli from Italy, I live in Prato, near Florence, and I'm 26.

I'm a member of association I.N.T.K. – Itaria Nihon Tōken Kyōkai (Italian Society for the Japanese Sword). http://www.intk-token.it/

I've some blades and tsuba for sale, I believe will post in the appropriate topic.

I know some members, thanks to everyone. :-)

• Like 3

NEW TO THIS MESSAGE BOARD. HAVE A PAIR OF SWORDS MADE BY FUJIWARA KANEFUSA 25. PURCHASED THEM IN Japan IN 1985. APPEARS THE SWORD SMITH IS NOW MAKING KITCHEN KNIVES. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF I HAVE A REAL SET OF SWORDS? RICK

Many tosho are now making kitchen knives, Rick, as the market for shinsakuto is poor, to say the least. So don't worry about your blades being fake, just because of that, but do post them in the Nihonto section so we can take a look at them.

Welcome aboard!

Ken

Gentlemen

Hi from Sydney, Australia. I'm delighted to be able to start absorbing the depth of knowledge that is on this forum. I am in no way a serious collector, I have accumulated various military blade artifacts in the past (Japanese, German and Commonwealth) and then disposed of them as I get bored. I know you are all very serious collectors, dealers and experts, so I'm "confessing" in advance, in time I hope to evolve...

I literally stumbled into Japanese swords a while back whilst still living in South Africa when I acquired an interesting but flawed blade as a curiosity.  I gave this sword to my cousin as a gift and it turns out it may have been quite special, albeit flawed. It is a Bishu Osafune Kagemitsu, as evaluated by Victor Harrison at the British Museum. It was an Australian Army pickup and seems to have been a senior officer family blade. It has a special place for me, and although it was given away as a gift, it still influences my thinking and preferences.

Having spent some time again with my cousin in Africa my curiosity and respect for the genre has reared up and I’m now looking for one or maybe a few quality items. I’ve been “watching” what’s happening on eBay, but I’m never too confident of what I’m really looking at and whether it’s genuine. Pricing seems quite random.

My interest is almost always skewed towards anything military, so I'm probably looking for an interesting blade(s) in military fittings. I like the idea of Army and Navy as a starting point.

Kind regards and respects

Aubrey

• Like 1

If your cousin is still in SA, tell him to get hold of me through here in Jhb, and I'll introduce him to the militaria/Japanese collectors.

Welcome to the forum Aubrey.

Thanks Brian

You may already know him, David Stevens, based in eastern Pretoria. Springbok shotgunner, gunsmith etc.

Regards

Aubrey