Tsuba with dragon design

Haon

Some of you might remember my other thread about tsuba from the kamakura era, and I qasnt able to come up with a design that was satusfactory to me. Therefore, I've decided to go with a tsuba that might be historically out of place, but at least I will like it. Below you can find what I came up with, and now I'm searching for further ideas. Feel free to drop some good looking photos of tsuba with dragons, regardless of age, outer shape, or materials.

Best regards,

Haon

20221009_094458.jpg

Hi Spartancrest, you are correct, the tsuba is supposed to be mounted on a tachi. 

Regarding the blade edge side of the guard, is there anything wrong with the sides I chose for the dragon? The little hole is not supposed to be a hole for a kozuka.

The example you posted looks quite fitting, I wasn't able to find any tachi tsuba with animal depictions, but rather mostly with arabesque patterns.

Derek your design is very good - I say stick with it. The extra hole is a classic water droplet theme and is perfect for the crashing waves. :thumbsup:

Richard I love that "corrugated iron" look on the sukashi rain dragon - wow!  I don't know about America but here in Australia a heck of a lot of homes are covered by corrugated iron roofs, all trying to keep the 'rain' dragon out! :laughing:

• Haha 1

Hi Spartancrest, than you for your opinion. The extra hole was meant to represent a pearl / a wish or dream the dragon was chasing. The dragon will be inlaid and engraved out of solver, the rest will be blackened mild steel. 

I actually thought about doing this without the waves, as this would give more presence and importance to the hole. What do you think?

Also, thank you very mich to all of you who were so kind and shared some pictures out of their collection. I guess many hobbies have to develop, as I'm always dreaming about more stuff without being able to afford them :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..