WW2 Japanese sword Marking

Swords

It is an officer variant of the Type 95.  The Type 95 was highly thought of by the army for its cutting ability.  So a prototype was developed and tested that could be used by officers.  I think @Shamsy could own one of the test pieces used in the sword's development.

Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto, Post #212

造兵刀 Army Arsenal Blade

@BANGBANGSAN

• Thanks 1

Well.  After reviewing several nakago of Type 95s and Zoheito, I'd have to lean toward John's zoheito idea too.  While the blades and blade tips are almost identical, the T95 nakago are longer, narrower, and lack a fully discernable yakote.  This one has the same shape and look of other zoheito nakago I have on file.

Steve, if this were an officer sword made with a Type 95 NCO blade, it would be a rare one to have in hand, as actual ones are very rare to come by.  If it's a zoheito, then it's not all that rare.  Less common than standard Type 94/98 gunto, but there are plenty of them around the collecting world.

Zoheito were an attempt to mass produce blades for officers during the sword shortage years after switching from the western styled kyugunto over to the samurai styled Japanese swords.  Single piece of steel, not made the traditional way.  The look and feel is almost identical to the Type 95 blade.

On a side note: Do any of our zoheito experts know if the factories churning out zoheito were completely separate from the Type 95 ones?  Seems to me the only difference is the shape of the nakago.  Could they have been from the same specs, or from the same factories? 

• Thanks 1

As I linked to above, the wartime zōhei-tō 造兵刀 came about via the Type 95.  Mass production began in earnest in 1943 and more zōhei-tō were made late in the war than Type 95s.  The Japanese army needed officer's swords and they needed lots of them.  Hence the development of the zōhei-tō.  It took the best features of the Type 95 and ported it over to the requirements of an officer's sword.

• Like 2

Like Thomas and John said ,It should be a normal 造兵刀, nothing too special, these swords showed up all the time.

@Bruce Pennington

Major Bitō's (Nagoya Army Arsenal Seki Part Factory manager) account of recollection is as follows.
 "The shape and the size applied to the forging sword correspondingly in general. A blade uses army sword steel
 (C1.0%-1.1%).

Fire structure one-piece-no-forging fabrication was carried out. And curvature was attached and a tempering in oil
 (840 degree Centigrade) and tempering were returned (530 degrees). According to the forging sword, it polished
 good.
 Although it does not break for a tempering in oil, there is no tempered line(Hamon)Sword material is also army sword steel and cannot hold a decisive difference with Type 95 only by this explanation other than a polish.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, Swords said:

Thanks Francois good document by Bruce 

the W as I referred to was one of 3 different stamped 

1 star tagahamane added 

2 w ?

3 X rejected 

can anyone elaborate on the w stamp

1.Star-(Army supplied) Material Inspection Stamp

2.M-Interim Inspection Stamp

3.X Failed Stamp

AMK.jpeg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kiipu said:

As I linked to above, the wartime zōhei-tō 造兵刀 came about via the Type 95.  Mass production began in earnest in 1943 and more zōhei-tō were made late in the war than Type 95s.  The Japanese army needed officer's swords and they needed lots of them.  Hence the development of the zōhei-tō.  It took the best features of the Type 95 and ported it over to the requirements of an officer's sword.

A noobie question - Murata-to began in the late 1800's.  Did they simply not take off in production?  Were the zoheito derived from Murata's blade ideas or are the 2 completely unrelated to each other?

2 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

A noobie question - Murata-to began in the late 1800's.  Did they simply not take off in production?  Were the zoheito derived from Murata's blade ideas or are the 2 completely unrelated to each other?

村田刀&造兵刀 are two different things.

http://ohmura-study.net/911.html   Maruta to

造兵廠刀 (軍人会館呼称) 
 一般俗称は「造兵刀」。九一式下士用刀 (昭和6~7年) が始まりで、この内、将校に販売されたものを指す。
 後の九五式刀身も包含する。「造兵廠で作られた刀身」という意味の通称である。便宜上この市販品を前期造兵刀としておく。
 「陸軍刀剣鋼 (C1.0%-1.1%) を使用し、圧延ロール及び機械ハンマー等により鍛造成型。
 寸法、重量は、官給下士官用制式造兵刀より稍軽量で細身。
 油焼入したものを乾燥研磨による機械仕上げをした。刃文無し」 (尾藤少佐回想記より) 。
 原型は三十二年式下士官刀。本来下士官刀だが、将校用刀身の不足、鍛錬刀の非生産性を補う為、満州~上海事変が勃発した
 昭和6~7年頃から将校に販売された

2 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

I learned something today too, thanks Thomas and Trystan!

Steve,

I don't see a stamped number on the nakago.  If so, can you show a photo of it?  Or is the "K797" just stamped on the fittings?

Bruce

Another 造兵刀 with number K781 on the Tang , Seppa.

WechatIMG643.jpeg

WechatIMG642.jpeg

WechatIMG644.jpeg

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..