Need help identifying sword

Pete

My wife's great uncle recently passed away he was an MP and was in Japan at the beginning of the occupation an old man walked up to him didn't say a word just handed him this sword bowed and walked away.Fast forward to 2022 I found this sword wrapped up in a table cloth in the loft of his yard shed the saya was packed with grease needless to say it is ruined but it kept the blade from serious rust .Can someone please help me identify this sword as to period and maybe maker it is unsigned.68468996621__0D2A8414-C828-4F91-8FFE-BF0E3E28FB61.HEIC

68469234004__76D55041-DAF6-42E4-9CFD-707A4566DA7A.HEIC

I cannot see much of the Hamon or Hada  but from the shape and it’s size I would think it is a Muromachi piece around ~1500 made by one of the Bizen Sukesada smiths. 

Now a little explanation why i came to this conclusion. 

Actually I can imagine it is katateuchi 
and also a Kazu-uchimono. 
The unshortned size of it would fit blades for one hand  use. 

The Nakagojiri and Yasurime fit for Bizen unfortunately the shape and lines does not look well executed. 

Also the Hada Ware and the lack of a signature fits Kazu-uchimono in my opinion. 

A blade like this won’t be an artistic masterpiece but they are not worthless.  The Shinogi looks a little high for Bizen but it’s hard to see on pictures.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

From the photos I have the impression that the blade has been buffed; a very bad idea! I hope I am wrong.

It is a good idea to show it to an expert. You can ask here if a NMB member is perhaps near you. In-hand inspection is the only way to say something relevant about a blade. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..