Help determining if sword is real

Fallout420

Hello everyone, this is my first post (hopefully of many!) as I have just recently got into Japanese swords. I have collected military surplus for years, but a recent run-in with a friend’s Type 95 made me realize what I’ve been missing out on. Since then, I’ve been on the lookout for one of my own.

This Type 95 has come up for sale and I’m interested in it, but my only knowledge comes from what little I’ve read and watched, and I want to be positive it’s a legit example before purchasing it. It looks like a mid-production sword to me, but I was hoping the experts here could determine that. Thanks so much for your help in advance! 

785F4CA8-109B-4052-A3E8-96AB7831BC48.jpeg

16CF64CD-41AD-4241-B561-03B8C10A9972.jpeg

0DFA3EA8-DF83-4139-A0C1-9DDD76F396D5.jpeg

4AFD8EBD-DE0C-473F-AE45-FDB4D980625F.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hi Tyler welcome.

@Shamsy Sham there are a couple of things that I find interesting about this sword and you might be able to enlighten me.

Pic 1.

The centre stamp is quite strongly and clearly punched and I thought it would be a Nagoya Inspection mark, however it looks more like  'G' .  I know there is a very general similarity between G shape and Na stamp but this just looks quite different.

Also appears to be a flat head brass screw holding the throat.  Nothing too weird about that as could be a war time replacement but again, I'm just used to seeing round head brass screws in that role. 

Pic 2. 

@Fallout420 Tyler would it be possible to get a clearer pictures of the saya throat number and the kissaki (tip of blade)?

In this particular picture, if you look at the 'scew' holding the saya throat, it actually looks more like a small nut (???) ...cant work out why it looks like that because its on the same side as the pics that show a flat head screw.

Pic. 3 

The Bo-Hi certainly gets off to a wonky start but my main question is....where is the inspection stamp?

Just observations, but would appreciate any clarification. 

Rob

Studio_20220912_170442.png

Studio_20220912_170938.png

Studio_20220912_171150.png

• Love 1

Hi Rob,

Great observations and now I'm looking properly, I see issues. Apologies Tyler for not being thorough the first time I looked.

You're absolutely right about the saya screw. Looks like a replacement, unless the original screw were flattened (very unlikely, but the brass can be soft), or its just a bad picture that makes it look flat.

Agree with your observation on the Inspect stamp. It does look odd, but I suspect it is just a poorly struck Nagoya Army Arsenal stamp. When they aren't very well struck, they can look odd.

Where is the blade stamp. Well it may be missing, as certainly happened on occasion. It may be a little further down the blade and not visible, though the examples I just checked are all very close to the numbers. They are very faintly struck though (while the numbers are deeply struck). Could be the light or the photo again and just not visible. I THINK I can VERY faintly see it, I've attached a pic of where I think I see it. The serial numbers are in the correct range for Gifu. Correct orientation too. The saya has the screw on the correct side (right) but the numbers on the saya aren't in focus... not liking that. I can't actually see what they are and if they are matching, but they probably are.

Seek clarification on the screw and confirm matching numbers, Tyler. If the numbers don't match, hard pass. If the screw is a replacement... personally I'd pass, but up to you. 95 spare parts are hens teeth.

Screenshot_20220912-194356_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would be nice to see a photo of the blade tip Tyler.

Over-all I like what I see.  I agree the screw is probably a replacement.  Stamp is there, but poorly struck.  I like the detail work on the tsuka with good fitting fuchi. 

Nagoya's quality control was a bit looser than what we see on Tokyo blades.  So I'm not bothered by these variations.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, thanks for the information!! I really appreciate all the details you guys pointed out that I would have no idea to check. I asked the seller for the pictures you guys requested and this is what he sent me, hope it helps! He is asking $1200 for it, is this a fair price? Again, thank you for your help!

EDIT: Couldn’t fit all the pictures here so here’s the rest of them! https://imgur.com/a/UeCI0B8

60CE449B-BE4D-4117-B9F4-541988EE1C9B.jpeg

2E61608F-5D9A-4431-AE40-6F86FC201A64.jpeg

D08F0151-CF6E-48E8-8B45-822A5D30B425.jpeg

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..