Looking to buy my first traditionally made katana

Ledheadforlife

Preferably signed, papered, in polish, in excellent condition koshirae, and made before 1800. Not too concerned about the fine details of the hamon, etc because I'm brand new to the game and won't know what I'm looking at anyway, just as long as it's in good to excellent shape. Shirasaya and bag would be a nice bonus, provenance connecting the blade to Wolverine, Highlander, or Miyamoto whats his name would be even better. Thanks in advance gents!

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Ledheadforlife said:

Preferably signed, papered, in polish, in excellent condition koshirae, and made before 1800. Not too concerned about the fine details of the hamon, etc because I'm brand new to the game and won't know what I'm looking at anyway, just as long as it's in good to excellent shape. Shirasaya and bag would be a nice bonus, provenance connecting the blade to Wolverine, Highlander, or Miyamoto whats his name would be even better. Thanks in advance gents!

Budget?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Darkcon said:

Budget?

I'd like to keep it below 3k, dunno yet if my fascination with nihonto is gonna last or just be a one time thing for a man cave decoration so I figure I shouldn't get too crazy just yet. This is just about exactly what I'm looking for, it's killin me that I missed out on this.

These deals show up but not so often and if they do most of the folks that buy and resell are usually on top of it. 3k for papered mumei in koshirae could happen if you are patient. I have to agree with Katsujinken though.

Cheers

J&U

51 minutes ago, Darkcon said:

These deals show up but not so often and if they do most of the folks that buy and resell are usually on top of it. 3k for papered mumei in koshirae could happen if you are patient. I have to agree with Katsujinken though.

Cheers

J&U

Ok, well ya don't know if ya don't ask right? Thanks for the feedback guys.

3 hours ago, Alex A said:

Often, you come across wakizashi that are almost katana length and in koshirae, for that price.

Keep an eye on the Japanese sites.

Thanks man, yeah I've been looking at those sites but it seems the ones with the best deals are completely in Japanese which makes it hard for a gringo like me because the only thing I can really discern on the page is the price.

10 hours ago, Alex A said:

When folk new to the hobby desire a blade in koshirae, usually there is no getting away from it.

When Karate Kid came out I was about 12 yrs old, and just like every other kid on the planet I started taking karate. At some point my dojo held a raffle for a sword, but when I looked at it I thought "This is the dumbest sword ever, no hilt, plain unstained wooden handle and sheath, who the hell would want that?"

Ps, places like this you need to keep an eye on.

Im assuming you just want a "REAL" Samurai sword, 

For your budget and KATANA, how about something like this. Fittings, well, you cant have it all at that price, tsuka wrap could be changed.

Not papered by looks of it, but if its such a big deal you could ask them

https://www.toukenkomachi.com/index_fr_tachi&katana_A020220.html

Not bad at all that one Victor, at least the fittings dont look repro like the one i found (apart from tsuba)

Pity its not in fresh polish, would look nice, perhaps ask them.

Saying that though, sometimes swords in old polish look ok in hand.

We doing our best here lol

Already had one down vote, seems trying help someone out these days upsets some folks, i dont know :dunno:

3 hours ago, Alex A said:

Ps, places like this you need to keep an eye on.

Im assuming you just want a "REAL" Samurai sword, 

For your budget and KATANA, how about something like this. Fittings, well, you cant have it all at that price, tsuka wrap could be changed.

Not papered by looks of it, but if its such a big deal you could ask them

https://www.toukenkomachi.com/index_fr_tachi&katana_A020220.html

Very nice, but my french is a little rusty so all I could discern was the period and the price.

1 hour ago, swordnoob said:

How about this https://www.e-sword.jp/katana/2210-1011.htm ?

I think it ticks most of your boxes. Papered, signed, in koshirae, made before the 1800s, price is around 3k USD (a bit higher tho), and is also wazamono. Just not in the best polish

Oh yeah, that's very nice, thanks for the heads up!

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Grey has a nice sword in your range

https://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/swords/q561-mumei-katana-koshirae

he has others close to 3k.  check them out Grey is reliable (caveat - i partner with Grey)

Yeah, I've actually been eyeing that one for a couple weeks now, thanks.

Hi Andrew, just ideas.

At your budget, may have to make a few compromises.

Maybe an idea to read an introductory book, gain a bit of knowledge and get your head around the terminology.

Then narrow the field as to what you want exactly.

Books is the usual advice before buying

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark said:

just lowered the price, not sure if you noticed

I don't think I noticed, to be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed, there are WAY more websites selling these swords than I would have guessed. I've looked at so many swords over the last couple weeks trying to find the "one" that my brain is a bit fried.

On 9/3/2022 at 9:31 AM, Alex A said:

If you come across something you like the look of, add a link here.

Ok, so this looks like it may be right up my alley, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's signed, papered, made around 1603, comes with koshirae and shirasaya, and is under 3k. Is that right? Looks like buying it is gonna be a pain in the ass cause it's in Japan, but they're acting like shipping and insurance is included in that price, seems like a good deal to a noob like me, am I missing something?

https://www.samuraishokai.jp/sword/22145.html

1 hour ago, Ledheadforlife said:

Ok, so this looks like it may be right up my alley, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's signed, papered, made around 1603, comes with koshirae and shirasaya, and is under 3k. Is that right? Looks like buying it is gonna be a pain in the ass cause it's in Japan, but they're acting like shipping and insurance is included in that price, seems like a good deal to a noob like me, am I missing something?

https://www.samuraishokai.jp/sword/22145.html

It's only slightly longer than a long wakizashi - blades between 1 to 2 shaku (~30 to ~60 cm) in length. This katana's 2 shaku 1 sun 4.5 bu which is ~65 cm. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but just something to note since you didn't want a wakizashi

It is also wide at 3.25, with little curve.

Looks ok, has hozen

This is why i say spend some time reading a book, its difficult shopping when your still trying to get your head around stuff.

No rush, always going to to be swords for sale.

Better picking your own and knowing what you buy .

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..