Tips for mounting oshigata on scroll?

As I mentioned in another thread, I just had a nice Tanto delivered from Aoi Art and as usual it came with an oshigata and a scroll for mounting. What’s the best way to mount the oshigata itself to the scroll without damaging the delicate tracing paper?

Thanks in advance for your tips!

10 hours ago, Katsujinken said:

So no legitimate DIY options then?

I also have an oshigata from AOI with blank scroll and I don’t know what was intended for mounting by AOI Art.  The following information is probably going to be WAY more than you want to know… but like any art, there is always more to it than we would think.  I will attach some YouTube videos that show the process plus a new, modern way of mounting that might work.

I would first like to state that my ‘experience’ with this process is old and minimal.  30 years ago in college I took a Japanese black ink painting class with a Japanese professor and part of the class was learning the process to mount our ‘class final painting’ to make a rudimentary scroll (kakemono).  The main thing to keep in mind is that the oshigata is ‘see-through’ and mounting it directly to the provided scroll would probably be too dark and much of the detail would completely disappear.  Usually, paintings on rice paper are mounted to another heavier paper before mounting to a scroll.  This adds strength and gives a white background that is no longer transparent.  The process requires completely wetting the original drawing on rice paper and mounting it to the bracing paper with thin rice or flour glue.  Quite the ‘pucker factor’ when working with your ‘class final’ painting and completely wetting it down!  You got one shot at it!!!:o:)

So here is a video showing the ‘ultimate’ of what that process is… obviously way beyond our little oshigata scroll… but just like blades, we might as well start with ‘the best’:

Next are two videos that show more detailed procedures for wet mounting.  While these are Chinese paintings, the process is pretty much exactly the same:

Finally, a more modern way of mounting with silicone paper and iron that may be more suitable for our application.  NOTE!!! I have absolutely NO experience with this process:

Right now I’m leaving mine rolled up ‘as is’ as that is safest until I can figure out what I want to do with it… :)

I use glue from a spray can.

First I glued the ochigata onto a sheet of white paper, then onto the roll......that was it.

It is a good idea to practice using the spray glue on old newspapers before attempting the ochigata.

(The oshigata was blurred by me on the pc)

20220812_204256.jpg

20220812_204339.jpg

1 hour ago, Toryu2020 said:

but is that "reversable"??

-t

Sorry, but the question was how to mount an oshigata.

It wasn't required that the oshigata should be able to be dismantled again......or did I not understand something correctly?

I have the oshigata for privacy reasons blurred. ........and yes i am the legal owner of the oshigata.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..