Possibly Type 98 gento, but the blade is something else completly diferent.

Loona93

Good night,
Sorry for the repeated post, but I was told this was the right place to find more about this.
Here is the original thread, more photos there.
ther's a storry behind it but for here tldr, I'm just looking for confirmation or not as to if this is a real 98, a replica or something in betwin.

I forgot to mention this button, we were able to figure it means 岐 for 岐阜 (Gifu Prefecture) where many, if not most arsenal blades were made, though I believe the original pattern for it should have that imperial seal pattern, sooo I dont know...
Also a photo of the hilt assembled, believe it or not I couldnt find a full picture of it fully assembled, I'll do it in the morning.

Mesurements as asked on the last post, in centimiters and in links for readability;
Full lenght
Nakago
Sori (roughly)
Kissaki
Nagasa

G'day Luna,

I am afraid it looks to be some sort of reproduction/replica. The fittings look close, but not quite there, the tsukamaki isn't right. The nakago is very rough and the placement of the mekugi ana is very strange. The blade doesn't appear to have a hamon. Below are some photos of what your sword is pretending to be.

Cheers,

Bryce

Tsuka1.jpg

Kanemichi mei4.jpg

Kanemichi hamon2.jpg

Kanemichi tsuka.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/9/2022 at 11:59 PM, Loona93 said:

I forgot to mention this button, we were able to figure it means 岐 for 岐阜 (Gifu Prefecture) where many, if not most arsenal blades were made, though I believe the original pattern for it should have that imperial seal pattern, sooo I dont know...

Luna,

I can tell you the Gifu stamp on the chuso button is correct.  I've seen it there only once before, so that's kind of rare.  The Gifu stamps show up from 1943-1945, but most of them are on 1945 blades.  So, this was likely made in the last year of the war.  I'm still leaning toward a last-ditch, end-of-the-war sword with this whole rig.

Can you post better photos of the full nakago (tang), both sides, and a good close shot of the blade tip?

• Like 1

Hi Luna, 

My 'two bobs worth' ..... and no offense meant.....I have never seen a nakago like that and I really wouldn't even bother picking it up off a market table. 

For me, the shape of the blade leaves a lot to be desired.

Referring back to your original thread....blackened same (kai ?).....but not Kai kobutogane . Saya fittings = not kai but possibly post war at best but more likely replica (saya-jiri = bad replica)   Reallly like the chuso button in the first thread though :thumbsup:

Having said that.......I have been wrong before!  But I still wouldnt part with money for it.

Rob

22 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

There is a thread on NMB about double hamon, so not out of the realm of possibility.  

Hi Bruce @Bruce Pennington, do you recall where the thread was, or what 'key words' I could use?  Tried 'double hamon' ....'two hamon' ...'phantom hamon' = no luck.

Rob

@Bruce 

its called Nijuba 二重刃

Nijuba is a second partial visible hamon.

The term double hamon is more for noobs like me. I often forget the right words. 

image.png.7d4b76c719e241edc9bf50bd7628dfe3.png

(picture from nihontocraft.com)

There is no Nijuba in any of these swords in that thread. 

The first blade is fake.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bryce said:

G'day Guys,

Which blade are you referring to about the double hamon, Luna's blade or my Kanemichi gendaito?

Cheers,

Bryce

Yours Bryce.  There is a straight, dark line that runs parallel to the cutting edge, going through the high peaks, and the coloration below it looks like a suguha hamon.

449399018_doublehamon.jpg.791df2c6fae5c19a08cbf178347ac666.jpg

G'day Bruce,

I pulled this sword out to figure out what we can see in this photo. The straight line is actually a short scratch. This is a good example of how photos can sometimes not show things that are obvious to the naked eye and other times seem to show things that aren't there.

Cheers,

Bryce

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bryce said:

G'day Bruce,

I pulled this sword out to figure out what we can see in this photo. The straight line is actually a short scratch. This is a good example of how photos can sometimes not show things that are obvious to the naked eye and other times seem to show things that aren't there.

Cheers,

Bryce

Thanks Bryce and Trystan.  Yes, I've see the photo-effect misguiding the viewers many times.  Back to the original programming!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..