Tanto Question

I recently purchased this tanto, but I don't know anything about it. I thought it may have been made during WWII, but I was told it could be much older. Does anyone know about how old this tanto is, what part of Japan it was made in, and what it would've been designed for?image.thumb.jpeg.8ffff530324765ebc88ffe7498216d7e.jpeg

image_67125249.JPG

image_67187201.JPG

1 hour ago, WulinRuilong said:

This looks like a WW2 Kamikaze Pilot Tanto.

It isn't.
As mentioned, wartime or post war souvenir or utility soldier's piece. Moderate value, a few hundred and not traditionally made.

Yeah, and that description on both sales are complete nonsense. Second one is typical shrine souvenir....mass produced, gimei and oil quenched.
We have discussed these at length on the forum. Just search Kamikaze.
99% of those sold as such, weren't. In fact, I doubt any official "Kamikaze dirk" existed. They carried regular swords most times, when they even carried an edged weapon.
Those that are known to be correct, look like regular refined and decent tanto. Not these crude pieces with horrible nakago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..