Sosho kanji to determine on a Choshu tsuba

Marc BROQUIN

There were several generations of Toshun, who were painters of Kanoha (狩野派).

I understand this MASATOMI was 6th generation of Choshu Okada-line, working around Bunka era. The Toshun artist, who is mentioned here, was probably a contemporary.

reinhard

post-1086-14196757719295_thumb.jpg

I understand this MASATOMI was 6th generation of Choshu Okada-line, working around Bunka era. The Toshun artist, who is mentioned here, was probably a contemporary.

Maybe, Kano Toshun (狩野洞春: 1747 - 1797), who was given Hogen in 1785.

Ref. http://www6.plala.or.jp/guti/cemetery/P ... u_dun.html

Thanks to all, particularly to Koichi San for this determination.

First of all I think that the first right kanji is really written in Sosho, in opposition with Reinhard. It is sufficient to compare this 法 with what is written on the tsuba. OK for the others they are regularly designed. It's why I was blocked.

I tried to find the 2 others : 洞 which was for me an other kanji KAWA and not TO, such as in KAWAJI and 春 HARU (read SHUN in some cases).

The reading for me was then KASHUN who is a tsubako present in the Church collection and living in HAGI, fitting well with the fact MASATOMi being from CHOSHU.

Finaly, the 5th right sign is certainly a kao. If this tsuba was for honouring the memory of TOSHUN or KASHUN, there wouldn't be a kao at this place, dont you think.

Some times tsuba were made by 2 people. Could this be the case ?

Toshun or Kashun for the design and Masatomi for the execution ?

I submit this approach to your discussion.

Best regards and thanks for your help.

Marc

The 6th master of the Okada family, Masatomi is recorded as not using a kao/kakihan. Toshun was not a metalworker, so, don't know if it is a reproduction of one of his. You wouldn't think one would be engraved unless there was some personal involvement on the part of Toshun. John

I think that the first right kanji is really written in Sosho

It is difficult to tell from this very small pic, but it looks more like some parts of a kanji missing than sosho-style writing; but I'm really no expert in this field.

quote:"Finaly, the 5th right sign is certainly a kao. If this tsuba was for honouring the memory of TOSHUN or KASHUN, there wouldn't be a kao at this place, dont you think."

This is why I think it was made by two CONTEMPORARY artists: MASATOMI making this tsuba using a design by TOSHUN as a blueprint and signing for both of them. Full mei seems to be made by one person. Joint works of painters and tsuba-ko are quite common during late Edo-period

reinhard

PS: slightly bigger and higher resolving pics would be useful

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..