Help Identifying Shin-Gunto

NagaRyu

I need some help from someone who has good knowledge on WWII era officers swords. To the best of my own understanding, I'm guessing this is a mass-produced Shin-gunto. I base this on the leather covered black saya and the look of the ornate sarute. It allegedly belonged to a sergeant who carried it in WWII.  I wish I had better, more close-up shots of the blade but this is not my sword. Any insight anyone can provide is much appreciated.

Sword1.jpg

Sword1.jpg

Jack,

Not an NCO.  It's a Type 98 Japanese Officer gunto.  The cloth (ito) wrap is missing.  For $200-300 the owner can get a nice re-wrap done.  The leather covered saya (scabbard) is often found on older family blades re-fitted for the war, so it would be great to see pics of the nakago (tang) for a signature, if there is one.  The pics are too blurry to see if there is a wooden peg in that hole in the handle.  If so, simply have him push the peg out and the handle, with handguard slides off. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..