Sanskrit help?

Not getting any response on my post in the main Nihonto board (Original post), so will try here for the Sanskrit Boshi request. Trying to see if anyone knows what these are. 

I believe the smaller one (second picture, tip of blade to right) may be Kwojin or Kongoyasha Myo? The larger one (first picture, tip of blade to left) I am thinking is Fudo Myo? 

Any hep/confirmation? And can someone point me in the direction of more info on the meaning/significance of these being carved into the blade?

05540811-0F97-4930-8D14-B954C5E29541.jpeg

48CAF4D7-52B1-43BB-A354-6BABA9F21C01.jpeg

I think they are both related to Fudō-Myōō.

To me, the bottom one looks like a slightly sylized version of the letter kan, and the top one is probably kanman (stylized in the same way). The top one is so complicated, it can only be one or two possible bonji. Both represent two different aspects of Fudō-Myōō. The symbol for Fudō-Myōō is a popular bonji on swords since he is is generally depicted as carrying a sword himself, and of course for the spiritual connotations. 

http://www.kuubokumon.com/bonji.html

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Hi there. I just registered in this forum so that I could answer this question correctly.

The script is Siddham.

The first picture shows the syllables hāṃ māṃ (or KAN MAN if you ask a Japanese person) which are associated to Caṇḍamahāroṣaṇa / Acala (Jp.: Fudō Myōō).

The second picture shows the syllable hūṃ (or UN in Japan). The syllable hūṃ is associated with many different deities in Vajrayana Buddhism.

In this context it most likely represents Mahāvairocana (Jp.: Dainichi Nyorai).

Vairocanābhisaṃbodhi Sūtra, also know as the Mahāvairocana Tantra is an important text in Japan.

It has (as the name implies) Vairocana as most important figure in its centre.

In this text, Acala's mantra is used to overcome all kinds of obstacles on the path to enlightenment.

Sorry if I made any English mistakes. It's not my first language.

If you have any more questions regarding these kinds of topics, feel free to contact me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..