Looking for Advice - All Opinions Welcome!

I just picked up a Rinji Sheishiki (Type 3) for resale and it's got, what I thought was a leather wrapped tsuka. But after a closer look, I think it's a post-war Bubba-job. Did the Japanese use naugahyde in WWII? Google says it was invented in the USA in 1936. So, I guess it's possible on this 1945 gunto, but it just doesn't seem right to me. It's a sloppy seam and the kabutogane has the hole where the end of an ito wrap would terminate. So what do you think?

If Bubba-work, then I have another question for you to opnine about: Knowing that for $200 or less, I could get this re-wrapped in the correct Rinji way ... but should I? Or should I simply resell "as is" and advise the new owner that he can get a rewrap? I'll be frank, I bought it for $600. A re-wrap would bring my costs up to $800. And that's probably right up to the market top-end for a late-war Rinji. But I think it would be more attractive for re-sale if it looked better.

As you can see, I'm not good at this buying & selling stuff! But as a rookie, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

post-3487-0-52530600-1582654186_thumb.jpegpost-3487-0-61314500-1582654202_thumb.jpegpost-3487-0-99166300-1582654221_thumb.jpegpost-3487-0-88727900-1582654236_thumb.jpegpost-3487-0-86999600-1582654250_thumb.jpegpost-3487-0-38653500-1582654265_thumb.jpegpost-3487-0-74365700-1582654278_thumb.jpegpost-3487-0-70755600-1582654286_thumb.jpegpost-3487-0-02651300-1582654304_thumb.jpegpost-3487-0-97743600-1582654314_thumb.jpeg

Bruce i would start to take a look on the blade. It is a late war showa stamped blade. Nothing special in some good condition. The saya is very rubbed on the fittings. The lacquer looks nice to me. The screw is missing and replaced with a modern one. The dustproof Seppa is missing i think. How does it fit together? How does the wood of the Tsuka looks without the Fuchi, is it splitted? 

I would give it away. The condition could be interesting for someone who had enough Type3 parts and some skills to give it an original look.

Btw if i would stumbled about it for a low price i had bought it too. Type 3 are my favourite swords.

Best 

Chris

• Like 1

I think that a great price for a Rinji Sheishiki and I'm sure you could get 800 as resale. I'd not mess around with it too much myself. You probably know my feelings about swapping parts around. The most I would do is remove the obvious modern replacement parts and replace with modern, but accurate parts. In the case of a resale, I'd leave as is. Late war they may be, but gotta love the Rinji!

• Like 2

Bruce if it were me I would have it re wrapped. The reason for me would be that I never want anyone to think that I am selling junk. ( please don’t think that I am saying your sword is junk, I am not ) I would rather get it looking right and if I had to take a little loss I would. Sometimes the buyer is happy with their purchase until someone else tells them they don’t like it, then suddenly they aren’t happy anymore and it’s now your fault. I don’t know anything about this model but to me it looks like a nice sword. Just my two cents and what I would do if it were mine. What ever you decide will be the right decision.

MikeR

• Like 2

Michael, I can relate to that. I sold a gentleman a good gendaito out of polish for $1,200AUD a few years ago. I considered that a pretty good price and he was just starting out. The sword was not bad or flawed, just not looked after post war so had some scuff and stains. A polish would have been, in my opinion, not worth the cost and effort. There was enough left to make it a worthy beginners piece and potential future project. Even a session with uchigo powder would have worked wonders (I never did that, but I'm wiser now).

I had the sword returned. The gentleman spoke to a local dealer who called it junk and in turn sold him real junk. Cheap, oil tempers that got a run on the buffing wheel so they were very shiny. Lesson learned. I sold it to a friend and he was absolutely delighted because he recognised a good sword for what it was.

• Like 6

Just what I was hoping for! And as varied as our tastes are in collecting.

I really appreciate Michael's perspective. I was so focused on trying to clear a profit, no matter how small, that I had forgotten a greater ideal - being known for quality. Regardless of the Type or item's life path, should I simply pass on a Bubba-job to make a buck?! *sigh*

I'll take it on the chin, if I have to, and get this one repaired to a respectable point. When ready for sale, I'll simply explain it's condition, past and present, and let the chips fall where they may.

Anyone know the guy that everyone always recommends for a tsuka re-wrap? DaveR - do you re-wrap tsukas?

Oh, and I'll need a couple of menugi.

Bruce, Fred Lohman has done a nice rinji for me. And if you buy me a beer next time I am in the States, I'll send you a couple of menuki. Please email your postal address.

Thanks Neil, I'll contact him. Email on the way!

...and I may be interesting in buying it, Bruce! I don’t have a Rinji, so if you restore it, let me know! :)

I'll get some photos to you when it's finished and you can decide if you want it, thanks!

Thanks Neil. I've left a phone message with Fred (his website email system seems to be inop at the moment). I'm hoping to negotiate a lower price since the wrap is so basic with no folding. It looks so simple I might consider buying the ito from him and doing it myself if he's not willing to work with me on price.

• Like 1

Thanks for the article Dave! Since it is such a simple wrap, I will go for it. We have enough examples to go by for me to copy, and like you said, the knot at the end is the only real challenge, but looks do-able. In the end, if it looks crappy, I'll still send it off for the pros to do and I'll have learned something of the craft in the meantime.

Thanks for the menugi, Neil! I'll order the ito from Fred's website.

• Like 1

Dave, that’s an excellent article, thank you for posting it! Bruce, if you don’t feel like doing it, I can do it myself. I’ve never tried but I’m pretty good with sageo knots, so can’t be that much more difficult? The only difficult thing I guess is keeping it tight.

Dave, that’s an excellent article, thank you for posting it! Bruce, if you don’t feel like doing it, I can do it myself. I’ve never tried but I’m pretty good with sageo knots, so can’t be that much more difficult? The only difficult thing I guess is keeping it tight.

JP, PM sent.

• Like 1

Bruce I am happy to see that you made a great decision that you will never have any regrets about. Also it is nice to see that people like JP understand what you have and what they want and are willing to work with you no matter how you proceed. And like Chris said, no matter who does the re wrap please share the sword with us when it’s done.  Glad it seem to be working out for both of you.

MikeR

• Like 1

Let it go and move on.  Cost will be greater than $200 to re-wrap + whatever the menuki cost.  Sell as parts for someone else's project or sell together as a project.  Sometimes you make some money, sometimes lose some, and sometimes just get your money back.

t's nothing like a sageo knot, in fact it's a bit of a bugger,but doable!, and frankly you can get away with stuff on a late war gunto that would get you spanked on a nihonto.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..