Needing a Smith Expert

Bruce Pennington

Looking for someone who knows their smiths! I have the kakihan (kao) of two smiths that are almost identical. The smiths are: Ishido Teruhide and Ishido Mitsunobu - are they the same guy? If not, is it possible to "read" their kakihan? Are they the same because the character represents their common name - Ishido? In fact, as I look at the mei, the writing styles seem identical.

Here are the nakagos with the kakihan;

post-3487-0-12561700-1579671351_thumb.jpgpost-3487-0-71843900-1579671371_thumb.jpg

This was from the other thread Bruce

On some of his swords, Teruhide used a kao (carved personal seal) in addition to his signature (mei). Ishido Teruhide also signed as Ishido Mitsunobu also using the same kao as with his Teruhide mei. It is possible that the Mitsunobu signature is a dai mei signature (a signature where one smith signs for another). It could also be the case that both swordsmiths employed the same professional mei carver and that these signatures are examples of nakirishi mei. While these are possibilities, I think it is unlikely and that Teruhide and Mitsunobu are most probably the same smith. I doubt that a swordsmith would carve his personal seal (kao) if signing for another smith. It has been suggested that he signed Teruhide when making blades by the traditional method but signed Mitsunobu on non-traditionally made (sunobe) blades. His signature (mei) is sometimes translated as Sekido Teruhide and Sekido Mitsunobu, although Ishido is the preferred reading.

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/teruhide.htm

Briefly looked into whether his Kao was linked to the ishido lineage and could not find much, hoping someone else can assist

• Like 3

From what I discussed with some people like: Chris Bowen, Greg Gulch and Thomas Appel Nilsson is that they are one and the same smith. The consensus seemed that both signatures were used on Gendaito. The reason for signing with another mei are not known, at least not with the people I contacted for a similar question

• Like 1

Some information I got out of my search: "Teruhide made handplanes (kanna) but was pressed into service by the Japanese government to make swords for the war. He made over 4000 swords. His blades are Muji Hada. As other smiths of the time, he used  some scrap steel in the mix (pre refined) and made "approved" metal. (considered traditional still). He also used a power hammer which compressed the hada further".

I had both a blade signed Ishido Teruhide Kao and one Ishido Mitsunobu Kao. The chiseling was identical.

Cheers. Leen,

• Like 6

Been having a browse, 1 to 7 previous smiths in the school, starting with Musahi Daijo Fujiwara Korekazu 

A sword by Korekazu, https://www.aoijapan.net/katana-korekazu-musashi-daijo/

Not seen very Many Teruhide, but what I have seen seems subtle compared to earlier work of the school

Some interesting points in the smiths index, think the first mention of Muji was 7.

The Kao, im assuming a trademark of the business as no other mention of earlier smiths using a kao (might be wrong, learning curve)

http://thejapanblade.com/ishido_line.htm

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=46IYtI0nkiEC&pg=PA242&lpg=PA242&dq=Musashi+Daijo+Fujiwara+Korekazu.&source=bl&ots=BRIi1bWXQs&sig=ACfU3U3_RRarQt5DnWUWYUMuHV_ICPR6Vg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjx57HI5ZnnAhUhpHEKHZmGBCAQ6AEwA3oECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=Musashi%20Daijo%20Fujiwara%20Korekazu.&f=false

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..