Wakizashi blade.

phil reid

Hi Phil,

Cant tell too much in it's current condition. What can be seen of the hamon suggets Mino influence and possibly late koto early shinto but that really is a guess. If possible I would try and put it in to the hands of a qualified polisher or experienced collector and see what they think

Phil, its had a very hard life and I doubt it is worth polishing.  I know that wasn't your question, but in the end, for me, that's what it comes down to.  I love them all, but can't afford to run an orphanage.  I am concerned about the kissaki, which to my eye has been broken and re-shaped.  It looks awkward and doesn't have the same older polish as the rest of the blade.  Possibly an old late Koto katana that has survived to fight another day as a wakizashi??  It is a survivor for sure.  I do like the fuchigashira.

BaZZa.

• Like 1

No, this was a cheap find and counted it a bargain just for the fittings for what it cost me , i could see it was a cut down with possibly a cutdown and reshaped kissaki but thought id throw it out there to see what others thought of the blade and possible era blade came from.

Phil, 

the straight blade reminds me of early EDO (KANBUN) JIDAI.

I do not think the damaged KISSAKI is beyond repair, but the BOSHI has to be made visible to decide that. And then you have to see if the repair costs surpass the actual market value. 

Value discussions are always a bit difficult as you have to remember that a smith made that blade a few hundred years ago under very simple conditions. These blades are historical artefacts, but we sell and buy them rather cheaply. Let's assume you have this one completly restored and have paid $ 3.500.- all in all with a fine SHIRA-SAYA, HABAKI and SHINSA. Way too expensive, I hear them shouting! Yes, correct, but have the same blade made by a good GENDAI smith in Japan, not even GASSAN SADATOSHI or YOSHIHARA YOSHINDO!

How much will it cost, and then it is not an antique blade, but contemporary.

The same with TSUBA: Old TSUBA are in comparison quite cheap although the labour implied is a lot! Many hours of fine work and craftsmanship - no steel cutting saws, no electric drills! - have been invested, and this applies to modern TSUBA as well. How can they be both so cheap? .

In the olden times a talented TSUBASHI might have been able to make a good living with his work, but how is it today?

I really would like to know how many hours Ford Hallam or one of his pupils work on their TSUBA, and then calculate the hourly wage. I believe most tax consultants would advise them to change profession....

Apologies for my excursion from the subject!     

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..