Need help with signature on Tanto Fittings

darbianco

Hi, I have tried 4 or 5 different Facebook Japanese Sword groups and so far no one has been able to help with translating this signature. It is on the Fuchi of an incredibly beautiful Aikuchi Tanto by Kunikane. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks so much in advance.

ps- the holes in the Fuchi are because the very thick silver Seppa has to prongs that fit into the Fuchi.

post-2697-0-58361800-1577766046_thumb.jpg

post-2697-0-83166900-1577766064_thumb.jpg

post-2697-0-79365100-1577766169_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Pete how does the Kunikane mei stand up?

Stephen,

Thanks for asking and I am honored to say that Darren kindly asked me about this signature. This is such a wonderful - and wonderfully complex - sword that the MEI is just the tip of the iceberg. My GUESS (and a very safe bet) would be that it is ABSOLUTELY by one of the Kunikane smiths between #4 and #12. That seems to be a consistently vague area, tho. I would bet against it being by #13 based on "penmanship." Horimono doesn't seem at all common on Sendai swords so it is hard for me to assess this engraving. Lust, lust....

This is an interesting blade and a very nice object.. Oh, and did I mention?.... Lust, lust!

Peter

• Like 2

囗秀寿 (somthing-hidetoshi) is a possibility. I should say the last one definitely looks like a cursive 寿 (toshi, sumi, other readings). The middle one liks sort of like 秀 (hide), but the unfortunate placement of the hole obscures some of this one kanji. I suspected 秀 at first, but now I'm not so sure. The very first slanting horizontal line is missing (or, it may have been lost when the hole was made). So I am hesitant to agree with Hidetoshi.

The first one is obviously some thing with a tree radical (kihen), so that sort of narrows it down to any kanji relating to tree/wood, but again I'm not sure about this one. 柳 (yanagi, ryu) is one often associated with three-kanji art names, as is 松 (matsu, shō), but this looks different from either of those. I'm away from my Wakayama reference now, but that is where I would start my search: in the art names beginning with a tree-radical kanji such as 柳 or 松.

Or, watch this space as maybe Moriyama-san or Morita-san or one of the other gents may come along and help out. 

• Like 4

Ōmori Hidetoshi is a 4-kanji name, 大森秀(with a kaō at the end). None of these is a match for any of the kanji on your fuchi, I think. 

Yours is a three-kanji name, ending in 寿. I now think the middle one is definitely not 秀, and I am still struggling with the first one.   

• Like 1

Quite tough....

I also think the second isn’t 秀.
Several possibilities for the first, but nothing makes sense so far....(interesting, that the left radical is very well executed but the right side almost sōsho).

• Like 1

I looked through all the (art names, or "pen names" if you like) in Wakayama, but there are only two or three that end in 寿, and neither of those are a match. 

And, for the same reason that Uwe mentioned, the first one throws me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..