Sword Identification Help

Badactor9323

I’ve been working on my late grandfather’s estate and we came across this sword. We’d like to find out more about it. So far everyone I’ve reached out to wants to buy it or charge me large appraisal fee. This is something we’d like to hold on to but knowing what we have would be great. I think it’s WW2 era but that’s about all I can figure out. It is marked but I am failing at trying to translate. Is this something you could help us with? Should we insure it? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

興亜一心満鉄作

昭和癸未

Kōa-isshin mantetsu saku

Showa Mizunōto-hitsuji

First line refers to the type of sword (made in Manchuria)

Second line is the date: 1943

You can find similar swords in the thread here

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/26165-attention-mantetsu-owners-a-survey/

And there should be many other hits if you do a search for the phrase "Koa-isshin" on this site. Maybe leave out the hyphen to get as many hits as possible. Its a sword that collectors of WW2 memorabilia will find very interesting. 

• Like 1

BADACTOR

that is a WAKIZASHI, unfortunately not in good condition. Please take care not to touch the blade witch bare hands! Wipe it with some low viscosity machine oil and remove the oil with a household paper before re-sheathing it. 

Concerning preservation, please read here on NMB about the topic.

Please sign all posts at least with your first name plus an initial, as we do it all here. 

Chis,

On your Mantetsu - could you try getting a better picture of the bottom kanji that I've pointed to here? I can't quite see it properly and it looks confusing in the image you've provided.

Thanks!

attachicon.gif20191114_070112.png

There are no markings under the brass collar other than the “spine” markings in the previously posted pic Here is a better shot. Thank you for any help you can give me!

Chris M

post-5160-0-32068900-1573741220_thumb.jpeg

Thanks Chris! Yes “Fu 795” is the full number.

The Spring kanji is pretty sloppy but is a good example that the Mantetsu mei wasn’t this perfectly struck, monolith. Some blades have been questioned in other threads because of variations in the writing, but this is a good example showing that they were still carved by humans that had good days and bad days at work! Ha!

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who has given me insight! It is very much appreciated. Any other opinions on the short sword? Ganko says it’s signed “ Bishu Osafune Yoshitsugu” possibly early 1400’s. Can anyone else verify. Should I insure the thing? If so how much. I have no idea in these things. It’s just sitting in the basement collecting dust. :/

Chris M

post-5160-0-54411400-1573752978_thumb.jpeg

post-5160-0-00501100-1573752993_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

The reading is correct: Bishū Osafune Yoshitsugu

I can't find this exact smith when I search for him, but I can find some similar signatures from the 1300s, which feels a bit too old for this sword. No need to insure it. Follow the advice regarding handling and care. Rusty, unpapered wakizashi will have a value in the sub $1000 range. If it is in good condition, and it has authentication papers, its value increases. But it has to be made by a remarkable smith in order for it to start attracting attention.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..