Paper Genuine??

goose710

Gentlemen;

I've never posted here before but have lurked for a few weeks now Might i say you have an excelent forum , very informative and helpful.

I've just bought a katana from AOI and recieved it today. It came with a paper i don't understand. It was not mentioned in the sale,and i don't know the inportance of it. Can any one shed some light on it? is it a fake paper? and can anyone read it?

Secondly, the blade came with a mark on the back side,in your opinion could this be a battle mark? That would be soo cool if it was!

Thank You for any help

Charles L. Grusovnik

post-969-14196750017849_thumb.jpg

post-969-14196750021727_thumb.jpg

G'day Charles and welcome to the forum.

If my monitor is calibrated correctly, your papers look like the green NBTHK Tokubetsu Hozon type as issued in the old system (ie 1950's to 1980's).

As for the scar on the mune, it certainly looks like a kirikomi judging by the wedge shape cross section (shape of the other sword blade) and depth. I'd email Mr Tsuruta-san and ask if he knows more about it and its history.

Cheers,

The paper says that it was issued by Bijutsu Nihonto Hozon Shinsa-kai on Dec. 8th, 1979. There are several description on the net saying that the organization is (was?) presided over by (Honami Tunemasa; reading?) in Okayama. However, I do not know the reliability of the organization.

According to the paper, the katana is Mumei and attributed to Hoshu Takada ju Fujiwara Nobuyuki

Sir Nobody

Thank you for your reply, as I thank all that replied. Forgive my ignorence but are you saying this organization's paper may be of little value?

Also is this attributation known to any? I am sorry if i'm annouying you guys it's that i know very little about all of this stuff.

I like the sword and don't really care if it's a treasure (probably not,infact sure it's not) I'm just intrquieged. Looked up that name on the web , failed to get anything . Please bear with me, if the paper haddn't been there i wouldn't wonder.

Charles L. Grusovnik

(AKA GOOSE710)

Sir Nobody

Thank you for your reply, as I thank all that replied. Forgive my ignorence but are you saying this organization's paper may be of little value?

Also is this attributation known to any? I am sorry if i'm annouying you guys it's that i know very little about all of this stuff.

I like the sword and don't really care if it's a treasure (probably not,infact sure it's not) I'm just intrquieged. Looked up that name on the web , failed to get anything . Please bear with me, if the paper haddn't been there i wouldn't wonder.

Charles L. Grusovnik

(AKA GOOSE710)

Papers issued by certain organizations tend to be more valued by some collectors than papers issued by other organizations. If the 'opinion' on the "origami" is correct, then the paper holds value. If the 'opinion is incorrect' it doesn't matter which organization issued it, its worth only the paper its written on or less, unless someone is convinced otherwise. In the end the value of the paper is determined by the next buyer.

There is a listing for this sword smith in Hawley's; NOB 620 ; 1661 ; 15 pts.

Charles, now that you've officially entered the nihonto zone, its time to think about starting a library.

watch out Milt, competition coming your way! Or are you building a Bungo team?

Charles,

I think having the papers is certainly better than no papers at all, and although not as highly regarded as some of the other organisations, the people who issued them are likely still light years ahead of us in giving an attribution. You should use their attribution to study up on the Bungo Takada school and see if it matches their work. Search the forum and the net for that school and you will pull up lots of info. Sounds like a good deal getting any papers if they weren't mentioned before.

Bungo swords were utilitarian, and made for battle. Some good ones out there, but most were true working swords that served well on the field. See this link: http://www.nihonto.com/abtartbungo.html

Regards,

Brian

Gentlemen

As always you've made a newbe happy by treating him like one of you old-timers. I am grateful for all the info provided and can't say thank you enough.

Stephen has asked for more pictures and here they are.

I bought this katana as a mate to the wac pictured which is early muromachi mihara according to the papers.

Please excuse my spelling as i was blind as a child and never learned to spell properly.

Thank You Again

Charles L. Grusovnik

(AKAGOOSE710)

Just got an e-mail from Mr "T" as follows ( you guys are good!!!)

We sent the paper which is the Tokubetsu kicho estimation paper of

the Bijyutu Nihon to hozon shinsa kai for your sword 08317.

That paper was issued at December 8th 1979.

The Bijyutu Nihon to hozon shinsa kai is not so famous Shinsa.

They said that this katana is Mumei attribute as Hoshu Takada ju

Fujiwara Nobuyuki.

Best regards

Kazushige Tsuruta

Thanks again

Goose710

(aka charles)

post-969-14196750035377_thumb.jpg

post-969-14196750038033_thumb.jpg

post-969-14196750042019_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..