Shinto Era Blade in Type 94/98 Koshirae - Tango no Kami Fujiwara Jumyo

Just had a chance to examine this sword, and it definitely does look nice. Though, the polish is definitely not what it used to be. It looks like it does have a very active Hamon, and having dealt mostly with wartime production, it's nice to see an older blade.  Though question is always, would it be worth it to get it a better polish.

I'm fairly certain regarding the mei, after comparing it to this example: http://nihontocraft.com/Tango_no_Kami_Jumyo_Katana.htm . It also has a similar habaki.

Looks like somewhere along the line one of the SEPPA for the Shin-Gunto KOSHIRAE went missing, as the TSUBA is loose, but the TSUKA fits quite nicely.

Just thought I'd share, and maybe get some thoughts. The Hamon is faint, but almost looks like a YAHAZA "Notched" shape.

post-5066-0-16311600-1567614572_thumb.jpg

post-5066-0-22285500-1567614589_thumb.jpg

post-5066-0-56275900-1567614602_thumb.jpg

post-5066-0-09039500-1567614613_thumb.jpg

post-5066-0-74446700-1567614625_thumb.jpg

In the 2nd picture from the left, is it a rust spot or an opening? If you decide to polish it, you will need to have new shirasaya made as well. If it were my sword, I would enjoy it as is. The polish seems to be good enough to see activities.

Hoanh

• Like 2

In the 2nd picture from the left, is it a rust spot or an opening? If you decide to polish it, you will need to have new shirasaya made as well. If it were my sword, I would enjoy it as is. The polish seems to be good enough to see activities.

Hoanh

It's gotta be dirt or something from the floor. I don't see it on the blade now.  I do have to admit that the mei is quite clear for the age. It's a strange blade, as I can see the remains of what look like rust pitting in place. The current polish looks like a standard Shin-Gunto polish. The SHINOGI-JI and MUNE were never burnished, like you'd usually see.

Did out of polish blades ever get set in Shin-Gunto mounts after getting a "basic" polish?

Without a doubt. There was an official programme of buying old blades from the civilian population, and blades were also donated to the war effort.

Nice! Thanks so much!  That really is interesting.  It's sad to think of how many old blades might be in Gunto mounts, with a polish that makes people they are machine made.

I've seen a few of the "hastily converted" blades with older wooden mounts in a leather scabbard cover. I hadn't been aware of an official program.

Probably far less than you think, any collector or enthusiast worth his salt should quickly spot an old blade from a machine made example. However for some people picking machine made from Gendaito is simply a bridge too far. Some of the more adventurous collectors believe the presence of a Seki or Showa stamp is simply a mistake on a real deal Gassan Sadakatsu....

Probably far less than you think, any collector or enthusiast worth his salt should quickly spot an old blade from a machine made example. However for some people picking machine made from Gendaito is simply a bridge too far. Some of the more adventurous collectors believe the presence of a Seki or Showa stamp is simply a mistake on a real deal Gassan Sadakatsu....

Well... a lot of "Bring-Back" swords are not in the hands of enthusiasts or collectors, but instead the hands of the families. And for collectors, the historical and military aspects are the primary concern.

We've had P37 Machine made Kai-Gunto, pretty much unissued, sell for more and faster than true Nihonto, as it's all about the fittings to them, capture tags, and especially bring-back papers and other information. They want a story, not a piece of art, unfortunately.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..