Help Identity Our Mon.

IJASWORDS

On 2/4/2023 at 2:56 PM, Bruce Pennington said:

Posting this one from @Bridges thread HERE.  Identified as Inaba clan.

4B585E61-A5C7-44E1-AAB9-58ACE8CA3D19.jpeg

Inaba (稲葉) had normally cut corners and we have to deal at least with two other families “三木” (Miki) as also “中村” (Nakamura)…

(different readings of the names are possible!)

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 5:54 AM, robinalexander said:

Neil, does this help ...got it from possibly unverified Wiki source but Toyotomi clan seems to be pretty close to the mark. 

The Government Seal of Japan, one of the country's national seals, is an emblem (mon) of paulownia used by the Cabinet and the Government of Japan on official documents. It is one of various paulownia mon, collectively known as the Paulownia Seals (桐紋, kirimon) or the Paulownia Flower Seals (桐花紋, tōkamon).[1][2]

220px-Emblem_of_the_Prime_Minister_of_Ja
The seal is utilized in the official emblem of the Japanese Prime Minister and the Cabinet.

The 5–7 Paulownia (五七桐, go-shichi (no) kiri) is used as the official emblem of the Prime Minister of Japan. It resembles a stylized paulownia with 5–7–5 flowers.

Before the Chrysanthemum Seal was used extensively, the Paulownia Seal originally was the private symbol of the Japanese Imperial Family, from as early as the sixteenth century. The Toyotomi clan, led by Toyotomi Hideyoshi, later adopted the Paulownia Seal for use as the crest of his clan. After the Meiji Restoration, the seal was eventually adopted as the emblem of the Japanese government.[3][4]

It is now still mainly used by the Japanese government, as a contrast to the Chrysanthemum Seal which represents the Emperor as the symbol of the sovereignty of the State, and members of the Imperial Family.

Screenshot_2021-09-26-21-53-25.png

Here's one for sale on fleaby - HERE.

World War II Imperial Japanese Army General's Sword Exterior, Gold Family Crest - Picture 2 of 10World War II Imperial Japanese Army General's Sword Exterior, Gold Family Crest - Picture 1 of 10

Selling just koshirae, and listed as "World War II Imperial Japanese Army General's Sword Exterior, Gold Family Crest".  Nice fittings, but sloppy paint job on kabutogane.  Seems odd, cosidering the quality of the rest of the fittings.  Possibly the kiri was glued on, evidence of glue showing, and gold painted post-war?

• Like 2

This was originally listed as the same thing on yahoo jp auction, along with a fake general tassel and some other odds and ends supposedly from an IJA general. It is very clearly a put together piece with some BS story.

Some red flags:

• superglued kirimon
  • added paint on fittings
  • non matching 2nd hanger
  • solid Tsuba rules out Type 94
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Hello! 

Recently acquired this custom police saber with 2.5 mon, all seem to be the same. Looks very similar to some others posted in here (the wisteria), but the others posted lack the characters inside of the leaves.
Greatly appreciate any insight.

I've seen https://irohakamon.com/symbol.html posted here as a good resource, but is there a guide to navigating it? I'm not sure if mine is actually in there, though. Any other free resources (for now) are appreciated, fewer people I'll have to pester :)

mon3.thumb.jpg.290169c5211a57ef49f68f8af51e623a.jpgmon2.thumb.jpg.513e80e129c86c9c7df74f4d6609bff1.jpgmon1.thumb.jpg.dedea941c2adde4f815c80c8b01ab558.jpgpolicewoop.thumb.jpg.5087aed6f3c3894782df88d69da5916f.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 1:57 PM, canuckodile said:

Hello! 

Recently acquired this custom police saber with 2.5 mon, all seem to be the same. Looks very similar to some others posted in here (the wisteria), but the others posted lack the characters inside of the leaves.
Greatly appreciate any insight.

I've seen https://irohakamon.com/symbol.html posted here as a good resource, but is there a guide to navigating it? I'm not sure if mine is actually in there, though. Any other free resources (for now) are appreciated, fewer people I'll have to pester :)

mon3.thumb.jpg.290169c5211a57ef49f68f8af51e623a.jpgmon2.thumb.jpg.513e80e129c86c9c7df74f4d6609bff1.jpgmon1.thumb.jpg.dedea941c2adde4f815c80c8b01ab558.jpgpolicewoop.thumb.jpg.5087aed6f3c3894782df88d69da5916f.jpg

This sword is found in the Dawson book, a lot of info about it should be here. 

image.thumb.png.1b71cd8ba2502506b5efa3e67ed92d96.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 3 months later...

I'll post mine here (actually the one that is on my type 98 shin-guntō!), for the record:

IMG_6481-787x1024.jpg

This is a Daki Omodaka mon 抱面 (alternate spelling for Omodaka: 沢瀉).

Associated families are:  Shiina, Someda/Yanada, Mori, Kinoshita, Asano, Sakai, Horikoshi, Mizuno, Tsuchii, Fukushima, etc.

椎名、梁田、毛利、木下、浅野、酒井、堀越、沢井、水野、土井、福島など

(Information provided by SteveM)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Just curious, do you think something is missing from the center?  It appears the surface underneath was smoothed over.

Honestly, that is exactly what I thought, but I am no expert.