Shonai Tsuba

Vermithrax16

I little bit ago I had asked for some information on Shonai tsuba works. I was able to locate a few sources of info. I was obviously asking for a reason........

New tsuba arrived today. It's Shonai and I have to say the patina on this one is blowing me away. It's got a subtle motif that honestly I was glad to have the Hozon paper translated, as I missed the rendering of the moon. Impressed with this one, and glad to have it in hand. Not sure what the character on the obverse means, any guesses?

NBTHK Hozon Translation:

mangetsu matsugae no zu tsuba (満⽉松ヶ枝図鐔) ‒ Tsuba depicting full moon and pine branch
Unigned: Shōnai (庄内)
aorigata, iron, tsuchime finish, kōsuki and kebori, sukidashibori, uchikaeshi-mimi

W: 7.6cm
L: 8.3cm
Thickness: 4mm

post-4009-0-55029000-1544485814_thumb.jpg
post-4009-0-18267800-1544485825_thumb.jpg
post-4009-0-40143400-1544485834_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think the viewing or an  neverending parade of poor condition specimens is coloring some peoples perceptions, just looks like an example in a good state of preservation to me.  A lustrous raven black surface can be obtained without the use of lacquer, many tsuba are so compromised by rust..... they convey little to none of the makers original aesthetic intentions.

-S-

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..