Yamakichibei Tsuba

svarsh

Generally the smaller one is referred to as a nata, and the larger with the "handle" being a kama. 

Okamoto Yasukazu seems to be caught in between the possibilities of the latter being either a sickle or a reed in Owari to Mikawa no tanko.  It being commonly paired with a wild goose is part of the reasoning, however there are plenty of instances where it stands alone or is alongside other various motifs, and we see this done with the hatchet as shown in the above Yamasaka Kichibei tsuba. 

There's not always a clear connection between different subjects used on the same Yamakichibei tsuba, and finding one usually requires getting creative.  Here's the nata making another appearance alongside a flower pattern (which I've also seen specified as a chrysanthemum).  My best guess is that's it's a Buddhist sentiment - the nata trims the garden much like how we must keep our own worldly desires in check and not let them grow out of control. 

20221228_113639.jpg

• Like 3

@sabiThat logic follows and you could very well be correct.  I can’t help but wonder what was going on in the mind of the artist but it’s always going to be speculation (speaking about my own tsuba above) and I suppose it is good in itself that myself and others can see so many other things in these positive and negative spaces. Truly a treat for one’s imagination.

The treetops or mushroom heads on the tsuba I posted above could very well be inspired by and take the form of suhama as well.  

• Like 1

Wow, that sold for a lot!  Very nice one. A more refined version of the one you have above.  And there’s that nada with the temper line again.  I like that interpretation.  And an added shadow and definition between the bird’s body and wing.  

4 hours ago, rematron said:

I see a connection here :)

825FAA3E-4C04-43D2-8571-6DEED132D3C7.jpeg

D4DF4BCC-CFF6-4E93-8F16-23FA0A207D4A.jpeg

Sorry Jeremy, just realized I quoted the wrong post in my suhama suggestion.  I was referring to the kozuka-ana side opening of the guard Mauro posted. 

Yours and the one above it could be pine trees (I doubt a sickle or reed), but tough to say for sure as I can't recall seeing this sepcific design on legitimate Yamakichibei tsuba. 

29 minutes ago, sabi said:

Sorry Jeremy, just realized I quoted the wrong post in my suhama suggestion.  I was referring to the kozuka-ana side opening of the guard Mauro posted. 

Yours and the one above it could be pine trees (I doubt a sickle or reed), but tough to say for sure as I can't recall seeing this sepcific design on legitimate Yamakichibei tsuba. 

Pine tree was one of my original thoughts. The orientation is a little odd but yeah, if I hold my tsuba sideways it looks like it could be a pine tree top and it’s reflection below it. 

6 minutes ago, Akitombo said:

This one is a pine tree ko-sukashi

David

owari-yamakichibei-tsuba-400-years_1_40c633bde831cdfedcb3557ae788a7c5.jpg

That’s it! That’s exactly what I’ve been searching for and the inspiration for my tsuba!  The little holes are even in the same position to the design. So my tsuba is just oriented strangely and would be accurately viewed (as per the subject matter not as a collector) on its side with one tree being a reflection of the other. Nice! Thanks for the pic David. Made my day. :) 

8516BDF8-E6D6-41DB-A351-256477D8F1A2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I see you all have been exploring some of the abstract motifs of the Yamakichibei tsuba… lots of fun :thumbsup:

I’ve been collecting and sorting images of Yamakichibei tsuba for quite some time now.

Recently, a bunch of things “clicked” and I feel like I made some progress on a few of their motifs, so I thought I’d share 😊

I’m curious to see what you all think.

Sergei Varshavsky’s “Yamakichibei Tsuba. A Limited Bibliography.” has been an indispensable source for many of the images and descriptions quoted directly from the authors of the books they were published in. All the black and white images I will use come directly from Sergei’s site. Here’s the link if you don’t have it:

https://varshavskycollection.com/yamakichibei-tsuba/

It was interesting how often words like: obscure; unknown; and “may be…”, appear in the quotes. Some authors have even been deliberately evasive about the motifs by using descriptions like “with small sukashi”.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

MOTIF 1 – Japanese Edelweiss Flower

IMG_5063.jpg.4255a8767d9d34297f1ed50df8284ecf.jpg

The motif that appears to be a flower with what appears to be: 2 oppositely positioned, oblong, pointed “leaves”, with 6 smaller “petals” with a similar yet shorter shape to the leaves, positioned around a circle in the center.

yama-NBTHK2.jpg.56f1b20f4612953ece6979396fc3e10f.jpg 700012613_YamakichibeiLCBcaterpillaredelweiss-1a.thumb.jpg.958e5b54b78ba47ec54ddea165fa9e16.jpgedelweiss.png.b5a000bd0f2fa42b2bc50071bf1a4f3d.pngedelweiss2.jpg.fc6fb0ebbc4152e25f54c708c4409968.jpg

After searching for native Japanese flowers with similar characteristics, I narrowed it down to a single candidate. I believe that this motif represents Japanese edelweiss.

IMG_5031.thumb.JPG.0f633b950cb8f0cbd66e73e50c01d92d.JPGIMG_5058.JPG.be686c584c48df9259522a4a531b9ee5.JPG 

There are 11 species of this flower which grow in Japan, China and Korea.

Scientific article: The establishment history of alpine Leontopodium japonicum (Asteraceae) resembles that of warm-temperate plants on the Korean Peninsula (Lee et. Al, 2016)

The following information was obtained from:

www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~flower_world/Asteraceae/Leontopodium%20japonicum.htm

In Japan, there are two main “types” (however according to Lee et al, there appears to be 7 distinct genetic variants within Japan).

One is common from the lowlands up to the sub-alpine areas all over Japan, and the other grows specifically in the higher mountainous regions of Japan.

It’s interesting to note that the author wrote that from visual cues alone, he can’t tell the difference between the lowland and alpine types.

Scientific name: Leontopodium japonicum
Japanese common name:

1-    usu-yuki-sou [pale snow weed]

2-    mine usu-yuki-sou [mountain pale snow weed]

The flowers bloom from July to October

Potential significance of the motif:

This particular flower motif is seen on many Yamakichibei tsuba, and from a variety of their smiths.

For those who may not know, the three kanji of Yamakichibei (山吉兵) translate to something like “lucky mountain soldier”.

From Google translate:

- mountain

- luck (or fortune)

– soldier (or warrior)

So, a flower motif that specifically calls to mind the idea of “mountains”, might have made one of these tsuba recognizable as one of the “Yama” tsuba. So, it could have partially served as a sort of “calling card” for the Yamakichibei.

Given the established lore that the Yamakichibei smiths were retained by Oda Nobunaga, having a recognizable “Yama” motif may have also helped identity the wearer as one of Oda Nobunaga’s warriors.

Many of the Japanese tsuba motifs have associated “inferred meanings” that would have been most culturally relevant and significant at the time of their production and use.

I looked for culturally associated meanings for Japanese edelweiss.

Interestingly, in today’s Japan, this flower is viewed as representing “power and/or courage”.

This sentiment would have surely been appreciated by the samurai who was rewarded with a tsuba carrying this motif, especially during the peak of the warring era of Japan.

However, before solidifying this connection, it would be important to determine whether the edelweiss flower had this same association during the Momoyama period…a daunting prospect that may be very difficult to confirm.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

MOTIF 2 – Edamame (soybean) pods, with Sun, moon and star, and Inome (boar’s eye) hitsu-ana

The many sukashi elements positioned between the two inome-shaped hitsu-ana, seem irregular at first, but they are actually repeated patterns.

They have either 2 or three round bulges, with narrower “protrusions” at either end, where one is end is more squared off, while the other end has a more pointed tip.  

Edamame typically has 2 to 3 beans inside a bean pod:

https://specialtyproduce.com/produce/Edamame_Shelling_Beans_17810.php

e1.thumb.jpg.d2a39bf43f34001e6afeb51fc15654b6.jpge2.jpg.c8334941a1e832b5e5bf29a7061d19eb.jpg

2082485044_Beansmotif-menuki.thumb.jpg.fad80e5df831c77c056bdb9b12d3cbba.jpge3.jpg.ee9560a25ea68ed9ba8b70de62f03a4d.jpg

Bottom left image: two sword hilt menuki shaped as one double- and one triple-bean edamame

Bottom right image: a bowl of cooked edamame from:

https://www.kobejones.com.au/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-humble-edamame-bean/

Note: there’s a remarkable consistency in the sukashi designs of both these tsuba:

2 inome-shaped hitsu-ana

6 double bean pods (arranged in a ring)

1 triple bean pod (located at the bottom of the design)

3 circles (2 small and one large)

Here is another variant of the same theme, but the tsuba does not have the mokko shape o fthe previous two. Interestingly, the entire pattern has been inverted, such that the triple-bean pod and the largest circle are positioned near the top of the tsuba.

It was described in the fourth issue of the KTK as Obscure sukashi motif. Oban form”.

e4.jpg.6ebf382aabf98bcafba3dbb0f2986af7.jpg

So what are the three small circles?

I found this example and quote from Sergei Varshavsky’s site:

In a different tsuba design from Yamikichibei, published in the 1992 Lundgren collection, the “three circles” are presented as a single motif in a much larger scale, and the design is described as:

“Sword guard with design of sankô (Three Lights: the sun, the moon and the star) in openwork. Signed Yamakichibei.”   

e5.jpg.b98b8d46266abca2d651674bb3493b5f.jpg

*note: all black and white images and blue quotes are from Sergei Varshavsky's site 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

OK here’s another…

I’m sure most people who start looking into Momoyama period tsuba, will quickly realize how common the “wagon wheel” motif was.

It was employed in all sorts of variations, ranging from faithful realism, to abstractions where only a partial section of the wagon wheel is shown, to varying degrees of “expressionism” where the motif gets increasingly distorted or obscured.

The wheel motif was one that was refined and explored by the Yamakichibei smiths.

However, in sorting through images of the many variations of Yamakichibei “wheels”, it became clear that certain forms were quite consistent and could possibly be alternative motifs that the smiths adopted into use simply because they have an inherent “wheel-like” characteristic. In effect these artisans could have been “double dipping” with their choice of motifs.

MOTIF 3 – Lotus root (perhaps with some type of vessel/cookpot hitsu-ana)

1.jpg.453ed76fc45a53e1505c30a6acb81a22.jpg2.thumb.jpg.4da70e094392184cbf4bcc106a59ee95.jpg3.jpg.5d793ed5facf96e286ea4480f9cef7a1.jpgIMG_5083b.thumb.jpg.803ff2e1bd59566d330954c8dac2bea2.jpg   

According to Varshavsky’s bibliography, the one at bottom left was once part of the A.H.Church Collection where it was described as:

“Iron, mokko form. Irregular surface with 8 irregular piercings. Signed: Yamakichi.”

If you look at the four examples, the general outlines of the 8 sukashi are remarkably similar from one tsuba to the next, even though the individual sukashi openings appear to be “irregularly” shaped. So, this is clearly a predetermined pattern that is being repeated on multiple tsuba shapes and sizes (although the Yamakichibei do love their mokko-shaped tsuba!). None were done with any “randomness” on the part of the smith.  

This deliberateness, along with the fact that the motif takes on a more “organic” looking, almost vegetable-like form, is what got me thinking that this pattern must be alluding to something other than just a distorted wheel motif.

Recently, I was looking up something about Japanese cooking traditions and accidentally came across a food item that jumped out immediately as being a solid representative for this tsuba motif.   

Call me crazy for suggesting it, but I can’t help but notice how similar it is to slices of cooked lotus roots!

1389905032_bakedlotusroot-Copy.jpg.99f0b50f1bdc9f4d57eedde585d294e2.jpg1390297193_braisedlotusroot.thumb.jpg.a34ce3c9f9e39ece6f4eff90a0ff8664.jpg 

649104218_lotusrootwithpoorlydeveloped8thhole.thumb.jpg.f13aa0f897b90d616991e2dc205fabbe.jpg

When sliced raw, the outlines of the holes are quite smooth (bottom image), but then they get much more irregular after they are cooked (top two images)

Knowing that the Yamakichibei used other food items in their tsuba motifs, like the edamame beans I posted earlier, and their already known “sticks of dumplings”, I started thinking that cooked lotus roots wouldn’t be “off the table” as a possibility.

I decided to look into it more, and it turns out that eating cooked lotus root is particular to Japan (and China and Korea …and perhaps some other countries as well).

I also looked up areas where lotus root is cultivated in Japan: https://japancrops.com/en/crops/lotus-root/

In 2020, Aichi prefecture was ranked #4 in Japan’s lotus root agricultural production.

Aichi prefecture was formerly included in an area that was known as the Owari province, which is where the Yamakichibei smiths were established.

So, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume that this area was engaged in lotus root cultivation at the time of the Yamakichibei, and this was a dish that the Owari samurai were familiar with.

I suspect it might be very difficult to find some sort of accounting record of the lotus root production in Owari during the Momoyama period, but it would be a fantastic bit of “confirmation”.  

Back to the motif itself:

1-    The number of sukashi openings

Interestingly, it turns out that most of the time, lotus roots grow with 9 holes arranged in a ring-like pattern around the center.

However, a Google image search revealed that can also form with anywhere from 8-10 holes (maybe even more or less?).  

So, if this really is a lotus root motif, it makes me wonder why the Yamkichibei would consistently choose 8 sukashi openings when 9 was far more common…

I wonder if they deliberately chose this for reasons of general aesthetics, or perhaps to represent the Buddhist “eight paths to enlightenment”.

And just as a bit of musing, maybe they picked the rarer 8 because it would be akin to something like the Western idea of finding a “lucky four-leaf clover”. Maybe finding that occasional 8-hole root slice in your bowl held some sort of “good luck” aspect to it. Unfortunately, I have no way of finding out if this is true.

2-    What are those unusual hitsu-ana supposed to be?

This one most clearly shows the core elements that are common to all of them:

4.jpg.73773127a62f98194391726c6aee7a5a.jpg  

As far as I know, these are only found in the Yamakichibei tsuba.

I’ve never seen anyone attribute a meaning to these bizarrely unique hitsu-ana with any confidence or certainty… it always seems to start with a smile and “oh, you mean the bear’s head?” :), then it eventually ends with a shrug of the shoulders and a “who knows?”.:dunno:

Looking at the four tsuba above, the hitsu-ana shapes are once again, quite consistent in their basic design elements, therefore must be deliberate in their design.

While looking at the one of these tsuba turned on its side, some possibilities came to mind:

1-    Maybe some sort of suhama motif? (a topic already discussed by others in this thread)

2-    Maybe it’s some type of container with two handles?

a)     a basket filled with a few uncut lotus roots?

b)    a lidded cookpot? Like a traditional Japanese clay cookpot called a donabe that is used for stewing and brazing (like what you’d cook the lotus roots with)

735491931_japanesedonabe1.thumb.jpg.c288d4a2b8e7fb1e5794683c4aee6921.jpg 4.jpg.73773127a62f98194391726c6aee7a5a.jpg 

I was almost certain it was a donabe, but the tsuba with the fancy hitsu-ana inserts has some pretty exaggerated features… particularly the two “protrusions” at the sides. So, this steers me back toward the idea of a basket with several uncut lotus roots jutting out

312355069_lotusrootharvest2.jpg.dd12bbefe39084642fe688ce4e59aba8.jpg 1363355562_3-Copy.jpg.32825de3001837714edc3d4521c96cb7.jpg 

To sum up:

The cooked lotus root, along with some type of vessel/cookpot does seem to fit from a visual perspective, and could possibly have the following reasons for its use:

·       A motif that references an agricultural product and meal type that has cultural significance to the Owari province.

·       Perhaps a reference to the Buddhist 8 paths to enlightenment.

·       Perhaps some element of luck or good fortune because 8 holes in a lotus root is less common (again, purely a hypothetical on my part).

·       And as a bonus, it simultaneously alludes to the “wheel motif” and whatever significances that had to the samurai of the time.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, GRC said:

According to Varshavsky’s bibliography, the one at bottom left was once part of the A.H.Church Collection where it was described as:

“Iron, mokko form. Irregular surface with 8 irregular piercings. Signed: Yamakichi.”

Glen, I had a look in my version of Church, which is a Japanese version with expert Japanese commentary (Kanemaru & Shibata, with Foreword by Sato Kanzan) added just below Church's original English descriptions. In Japanese it adds simply that this tsuba on p.18 is probably a version of the (Genji-guruma) wheel.

Not that it changes anything, but just to flesh out your comprehensive and well-researched notes. Lotus root slices, cooked, is just about as good as anything I've heard! :thumbsup: 

Of course we could half in jest say that Japanese wheels for ox carts took their inspiration from sliced lotus root! :laughing:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, GRC said:

OK here’s another…

Call me crazy for suggesting it, but I can’t help but notice how similar it is to slices of cooked lotus roots!

1389905032_bakedlotusroot-Copy.jpg.99f0b50f1bdc9f4d57eedde585d294e2.jpg1390297193_braisedlotusroot.thumb.jpg.a34ce3c9f9e39ece6f4eff90a0ff8664.jpg 

649104218_lotusrootwithpoorlydeveloped8thhole.thumb.jpg.f13aa0f897b90d616991e2dc205fabbe.jpg

When sliced raw, the outlines of the holes are quite smooth (bottom image), but then they get much more irregular after they are cooked (top two images)

That was a nicely constructed post.

Personally I always thought this was lotus root. The second picture of soy sauce, mirin, etc, with sesame seeds is such a classic long standing dish in Korean and western Japanese cooking that it never occurred to me it was anything other than lotus root. When sliced, it is very geometric. When boiled or simmered, it looks exactly as the Yamakichibei.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Curran, glad I'm not the only one :)

Piers, did the Japanese description actually say "probably"?  That's an important detail because it would show that even Kanemaru & Shibata couldn't say for certain that it was a guruma (wheel) motif. Thanks for that addition :thumbsup:

And Dale, Fozzie Bear was going to be my alternate explanation  :)

Before the connection clicked, these hitsu-ana always made me think of gummy bears...

image.png.f84d7307dad603a3beaca9c27002d4f6.png

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if someone saw one of their guruma motif tsuba, where the straight sukashi lines were a little more distorted than usual, pointed out the similarity to a slice of lotus root... then the smiths started to play with the idea.

Kind of like this one (from Varshavsky's bibliography):

http://varshavskycollection.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/IMG_5965-372x400.jpg

I guess it's all "food for thought" 

Dale's pun, not mine, so he gets credit for that one :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..