Kai Gunto Sword - Well I Think

Woodzy9370

I'm am trying to do some research on this sword my father received while in Japan during WW2. He has keep it all these years and it is in great shape - not a nicks anywhere and probably have only been out of its Saya only a few times.

According to a friend the date on the tang is March 1944 but the other side is a name - just wanted to do some research. It is about 37 inches long.

Any help would be appreciated.

post-4438-0-15893100-1520612744_thumb.jpg

post-4438-0-17584900-1520612747_thumb.jpg

post-4438-0-53889100-1520612749_thumb.jpg

Wonderfully cut mei i suspect top notch work.

quite a long list of Kunimitsu

i never found exact match.... a few

KUNIMITSU (国光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kunimitsu” (国光), real name Hatano Ginjirō (波多野銀次郎), born May 4th 1890, he worked as guntō smith and died January 23rd 1967
KUNIMITSU (国光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Akita – “Kunimitsu” (国光), family name Kijima (木島), jōkō no retsu (Akihide), Fifth Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941) (see picture right)
KUNIMITSU (国光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Hyōgo – “Kunimitsu” (国光), family name Mizuta (水田), rikugun-jumei-tōshō
KUNIMITSU (国光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Shimane – “Kunimitsu” (国光), family name Ishihara (石原), rikugun-jumei-tōshō, ryōkō no jōi (Akihide)
KUNIMITSU (国光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Saga → TSUNEHARU (常治), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Saga
KUNIMITSU (国光), Heisei (平成, 1989- ), Okayama – “Kunimitsu” (国光), real name Takeshita Satoru (竹下悟)
  • Like 1

Brilliant!! why i couldn't find him!!!  well done Brian

MITSUOKI (光起), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Niigata – “Echigo no Kuni Nuttari-jūnin Endō Mitsuoki” (越後国沼垂住人遠藤光起), “Echigo no Kuni Endō Mitsuoku” (越後国遠藤光起), real name Endō Jinsaku (遠藤仁作), born October 1st 1904, he was basically a self-taught smith but studied from 1935 in Tōkyō at the Nihontō Tanren Denshūjo (日本刀鍛錬伝習所) under Kurihara Hikosaburō Akihide (栗原彦三郎昭秀), he won several prices and made 1939 some blades for the 700th anniversary of the death of Emperor Gotoba (後鳥羽), he lived in Nishiumakoshi (西馬越) in Niigata Prefecture, in 1981 he became mukansa and died in 1997, kihin-jōi (Akihide), Special Honor Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)

• Like 1

Well that was fast. I never guessed I would know thin in one day. My guess is if I google this Swordsmith I will learn about him. How do you know if this is a good Swordsmith or average. I assume I can oil it with gun oil? Then the last question is that some day, I will need to buy out the other siblings since I really want to keep this sword. Any way to ballpark the value of it so I know what is fair. Need to pay 3 of them off.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..