Seki Stamp ?

Loyer

Glad to find out it isn't a chinese repro but I am still confused why a seki blade would have a maker's marker .  I 

though "seki" meant factory made so there shouldn't be a maker's name or info on the tang.

Also, if not an NCO what is it ?  

Dennis I think you need to do a bit more basic research, I'm not sure where you've gotten your information but it's way off base! Have a look on this site, invaluable reference: http://ohmura-study.net/900.html

NCO swords have cast metal handles and low grade unforged blades. 

You have this, as Hamfish already told you ;) : http://ohmura-study.net/727.html

• Like 2

Shamsy already said: officer swords that were not made in the “traditional “ manner had to be stamped with an inspector mark. The Seki mark is one of many used.

Understood but if not made in the traditional manner (ie: seki) , why did a "maker" sign the sword (as seen in pic 3) .

I thought it was one (seki) or the other (maker signed) but never both (as is my sword blade).

I think at some point early in the war all newly made swords had to be signed, dated and/or stamped to differentiate between the traditionally made swords from the Showato. The Seki stamp is just one of the myriad of stamps used to identify where or how the sword was produced.

https://www.japaneseswordindex.com/showato.htm

Dear Dennis.

I thought it was one (seki) or the other (maker signed) but never both (as is my sword blade).

This bit of information is wrong, the commonest combination is in fact signed by the smith and stamped, just as yours is.

Enjoy.

All the best.

• Like 2

You are confusing  arsenal/factory made with mass produced/stamped.
During the war, even the Showato were made by a smith or a team, and they were still hammered or had some forging done. They weren't just stamped out of mill steel by machines and bolted together. Thus even a basic Seki Showato was made by a smith, just not traditionally. It was still heat treated and polished and oil quenched. And often signed.
Don't confuse Western mass production with Japanese mass production.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Type 98 with a brown tassel and large Seki 関 stamp.

酒向兼茂 Sakō Kaneshige.

As the swordsmith is a bit of an unknown, updating the thread for future reference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1