Hot Stamp

James

James,

Just out of curiosity, did this piece also have a "shin gane Iru" stamp shown as item #vi on page 227

of Fuller & Gregory's blue book? (apparently it was originally mis-translated in their red book).

I have a piece made by Masafusa that has this stamp in addition to the stamp you have a pictured - some

images are in a web directory at:

http://www.rkgphotos.com/masafusa/

(pardon the bad composite) - the stamp like you have is not pictured - its on the back of the nakago

Also check out Slough's book on pages 65 and 98. both pieces show this stamp.

Anyway, after looking at the piece for a while, I now believe its some sort of non-traditionally made piece, with the stamp indicating that they used kobuse construction. The hamon doesn't really look oil quenched, but atter looking at it for a while I realized that there appears to be no nie (see images) - so is it modern steel that was water quenched, or oil quenched or what?...

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

James,

Thanks for the info on your piece. Mine didn't have a showa stamp which made it confusing...

I don't know what to say about the quality - as can be seen, it doesn't look like a lot

of oil quenched pieces, so...

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

Hi James,

Not necessarily. Although it is usually the case, every time someone has tried to make the link between the showa stamp and oil quenched gunto...there have been confirmed exceptions to this rule. So while in most cases it does indicate that, there are swords that have had the stamp removed and were treated as gendaito. Also, there are other construction methods used during the war that are a step above the normal mill steel rolled construction.

In this case, I do expect it was forged, although maybe not of traditional tamahagane, but I am not sure of the tempering method. You would need to look for signs of nie and hatraki, as well as hada if present.

Nowdays I take the showa stamp as a hint to check for oil quenching, but I guess it isn't 100% proof. Most will be though, and exceptions are relatively speaking the exception not the rule.

Brian

• 16 years later...
On 4/11/2008 at 10:29 AM, James said:

Hi Guys

Can someone identify this hot stamp for me please and let me know what it means.

It is found on a the nakago of the seki smith 'Kaneshige', does anyone have some information on this smith?

Thanks in advance.

post-425-14196745829764_thumb.jpg

Hello,

from Markus book:

KANESHIGE (兼重), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kaneshige” (兼重), real name Murayama Shigeaki (村山重明), born July 29th 1909 as son of Kaneyuki (兼幸), he worked as a rikugun-jumei-tōshō and died July 9th 1982, jōkō no retsu (Akihide)

see also John S. Sloughs book Modern Japanese Swordsmith 1868-1945, page 64 and 65

Kaneshige_stamp.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cisco-san said:

Link is not working, at least not for me?

Klaus, the website is long gone and I was curious as to what it had to say about sword stamps.  So I went to the Wayback Machine and entered the URL.  When I found only one snapshot dating back to March 2007, I decided it would be a good idea to grab it while it was still around and insert it in the thread for posterity.

Back to the matter at hand, Bruce Pennington has briefly summarized the use of these stamps via the link below.

Arsenal Stamps.

• Thanks 1