Members and their swords

DARREN

Hi Darben,

To answer your questions, I became interested in Nihonto 30 years ago, after having practiced Karate for 5 years. My first sword was a gimei suriage wakizashi signed "Izumi no kami fujiwara kunisada". Ten years later I bought my first serious sword from Robert Burawoy (now retired), it was a sunobi tanto by Soshu ju Sukehiro (Oeï) with a fantastic aikuchi koshirae (Fuchi/kashira/Kojiri/kurikata/waribashi/kozuka were solid silver) with a metal mekugi bearing the Mon of Maeda family, the blade had a sonokurikara engraved on one side and bonji on the other, then a year later I bought a fantastic Mino wakizashi signed kaneaki (sue koto). Later on I bought different swords, not great ones, till I had 12 blades at home. I must confess, I was searching quality blades but did not give a damn if signed or not, suriage or not. They were mainly short blades (waki)

In December 2004, I decided to sell all my blades and start a new collection, made of 5 katanas, representing the Gokkaden or schools influenced by this Gokkaden (original ones are often out of reach).

As far as now, I have 5 swords

- A fantastic Enju (66cm Nagasa) , late kamakura Katana, atypical because of its fantastic clear Jigane, very close to Rai school (usually the Enju jigane is misty)

- A Nio Nambokucho Katana, with a 70 cm nagasa, itame nagare.

- A Bizen uchigatana signed Tadamitsu, 66 cm nagasa, slightly suriage (3cm) a delight to hold.

All 3 blades are in shirasaya bearing Tanobe sayagakis, are "Hozon" and were bought from Aoi Art - I am very satisfied with Kazushige Tsuruta - If one deals with him _ you have to inquire by mail of the real satus of the blade you wish to buy _ He will tell you if there ARE small kizus not mentionned in his website. NEVER TAKE FOR GRANTED WHAT IS WRITTEN - ASK QUESTIONS!!!! Kazushige has a very Japanese notion of "the blade is polished" _ I had the Nio blade have shiage, had to have patches of rust removed fron the Mune and the shinogi ji of the Tadamitsu both given for polished (I shudder thinking what is for him an unpolished blade...).

- A Fujishiro papered Eikkyo Bizen Wakizashi by Kosori Yoshimitsu (I keep it, because it is a text book sword)

- An hitatsura katana attributed to Tsunahiro by Kajihara Kotoken that I bought from Moses Becerra who really is a great guy.

My next and last sword shall be a Mino (Koto of course - papered) that I shall buy next year (Time to finish to spare money).

G'day Darren.

I started collecting in 1992. My first sword was a gimei Muramasa. I collected for about 10 years, then became disenchanted. I sold most of my collection about 4 years ago. I then thought that I might as well still dable, and so began to buy gendaito. Since then, I have managed to aquire some very good gendai. This in turn rekindled the desire. So now I collect mainly ( not only ) gendai.

P.S.

I also come from a martial arts background. However I was never very good. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I'm a newbie here, just started this expensive hobby two years ago. Still no big names, and my next target is koto (Kamakura) soshu and bizen in juyo class. Here are my collections (except three more that I haven't got time to take pics): http://www.freewebs.com/eroly/

Dave Wolf, Justin Orr, and Leroy, thanks for visiting my site!

Hi Darren,

Not sure about that Rovers shirt!!

I am a newbie too.... been interested for one year since I saw a long tachi in an antique shop in the Caribbean.... couldn't work out then if it was real or fake.... didn't have a clue what to look for.... was severly tempted to buy it, but didn't have the guts to part with $2,000 US without really knowing...... Started doing research that day which led me to this site a week later.... (I actually think it would have been a very very good buy in fact!! damn it!! :)

Since then I have bought a coulple of books (on the advice of Rich T) and since a long Wakizashi and a shorter one, both in Koshirae.

I have the nihonto posted on some hidden (unlinked) pages on my website that I have so far kept secret.... there are quite a few credits to members on the board.... here it is...

http://www.superyachtlogistics.com/sencho.htm

Cheers!

showing your closet, Kapitan ?

I have always wanted to photograph one of my early aquisition.....and here it is........my jumonji yari with dragon horimono on both side.

For more detail pics........... check out

http://www.esnips.com/profile/54ee848f- ... ba8060dc94

look under the " nihonto " folder.

jumonji 1 and jumonji 2 represent each side ( you all figured it out already )

milt THE ronin

post-18-14196734390792_thumb.jpg

post-18-14196734391477_thumb.jpg

post-18-14196734392512_thumb.jpg

Nice Milt.... I need to earn more cash quick so I can buy something like that! I like the idea of a horimono'd peice next time....

Not far from the Virgin Islands where I saw that tachi.... what ? You married the Boss.... THE BOSS??

by the way the sake went down extremely well.... Sunday was a complete write off!

Cheers

Wow..Milt.

That is a nice yari. Love the horimono, and I think it must be quite unusual to have elaborate horimono on jumonji yari. I like it.

I plan on making my next purchase a jumonji yari...I think I have a thing for the polearms :)

Brian

Hi,

I started collecting Japanese swords about 10 years ago when I first got access to the Internet. I have been interested in Japanese history since my teenager times but in Germany we had only very limited access to Japanese swords as we have far fewer swords available or on display than in the US. I aquired my first sword from an auction house (Manion's - not ebay) and later got it polished.

I think in the last 10 years the situation in Germany with access to Japanese swords changed slightly. We have the European Branch of the NBTHK and the Internet really helps to find people sharing the same interest (e.g. have a look at the member list of the NMB and see how many people are from Germany).

When I acquire a sword I have to like it. I do not care very much about the signature or the school. The blade has to be healthy and in nice shape - and if possible in at least decent polish. I rather buy a sword in acceptable polish than spend a lot of bucks for a fresh polish. Although I appreciate a 100% polish I also feel comfortable with 80% - 90 %

If you are interested in my collection - please follow the link:

http://www.nihonto.de

Cheers

Stephan

If you are interested in my collection - please follow the link:

http://www.nihonto.de

Cheers

Stephan

in your gallery under the sword section, I klicked on the Bungo takada and get this..........

" Sonstiges

Gimei-Signatur wurde entfernt. Danach bekam die Klinge ein NBTHK Hozon Papier auf die Bungo Takeda Schule ausgestellt. "

Do you have pic of the side where the " gimei " once was ?

Danke,

Milt DER ( or DAS ) Ronin

As I'm really sad for having been forced to renounce at a nice Jumonji

Yari very few time ago due to major restructuration works at my

courtyard I'll have to face off, I really need to share at least this one.

I would like to have feedbacks about the signature.

It should be made by SAD 595, but I was told that he was as drunk as

good at making swords and signed in a lot of different ways.

Thanks in advance.

Please click the numbers after "Sadanori" :

http://xoomer.alice.it/tsubame/ZZZZZZ_DOWNLOADS.htm

Hi, here's a page with three of my waks...

http://ca.geocities.com/derond@rogers.com/main.html

I don't have any decent pictures of my katanas... Louis S. took the pictures of the Kanesada wak BTW.. I'm not that good. I also have the matching Kanesada katana... both are papered. The katana is "TOKUBETSU HOZON - "Extraordinarily Worthy of Preservation" by the NBTHK as is a Takada Kat I have. They have a "history" that I've been able to discover... the history is important to me.

All the swords I have would be considered "middle of the road" (maybe some would consider the "TOKUBETSU HOZON" swords "upper-middle"?) from "common" smiths. But I like them and won't trade or sell them for anything... I'm satisfied. I've lost the "pangs" of wanting to get "more" swords earlier this year.

I just finished placing my first sword in some nice mounts, nice sageo, good sayas in fresh paint... and I look at them as say, ok they aren't top of the line $60.000 swords... but sh!t... I like them a lot. And they are good enough for me :-) Besides, I have 5 kids and they need things... so I figure I'm lucky to have these... so I'm enjoying them.

Just my two cents.

Hi there. I have been collecting for over 2 years now. Here is an image of the first sword I purchased. It's Bizen Yokoyama Sukenaga. It was purchased from Ron Polansky who has also retired. It's papered by Fujishiro. Nagas is 69.5cm and signed Bishu Osafune ju Fujiwara Sukenaga†and dated “Genji Gannen†(1864). I have not taken my own pics yet. The one you see was from Ron's website. As you can see it has multiple hamon patterned for endless study. It also has some masame hada alon with mokume. I love this peice!

-Leroy

post-12-14196734393864_thumb.jpg

was described as "well executed with a moon." I never thought of it as a hawk....hmm. Good observation Milt. The Fuji-san is one of the features that sold me. Both sides of the blade are pretty much identicle. Unfortunatly there is a bit of rust at the yokote and near the machi, as can be seen from the pic. But, it isn't active. Here is a pic of the signature. I love this blade. It will be tuff to part with....IF the time comes ;)

By the way, I really need to give Ron Polansky credit for taking good pics.

post-12-14196734396461_thumb.jpg

looking at the translation of the shinsa paper.........

have a question.

The part about the name of the person who turned the sword in for shinsa.

You translated that as so and so " dono " and interpret that as a honorific ( as Mr. ).........

I always thought that " dono " means submit, as so and so submit ( this sword ).

Can anyone clear this up ? May be Herr Nobody ?

milt THE ronin

" was described as "well executed with a moon." I never thought of it as a hawk....hmm. Good observation Milt "

I am partial to hawks and i see hawk into everything just like Mantis dude see that darn bug everywhere.

For all you know, someone may interpret that as the " one eye monster "......... :badgrin:

milt THE ronin

Here is a pic of the signature. I love this blade. It will be tuff to part with....IF the time comes ;)

Hi Leroy,

I do not intend to deny the signature. But I do not know the Sukenaga in Genji era (1864). Maybe someone can give us his information. Later generation of the famous Sukenaga?

I know one Yokoyama Sukenaga (横山祐永). He is thought to be the best smith in Bizen Yokoyama school at late Edo period. His hamon was famous as Kobushi Choji (拳丁子) or Kikka Choji (菊花丁子). He died in 1851.

post-20-14196734397944_thumb.jpg

have a question.

You translated that as so and so " dono " and interpret that as a honorific ( as Mr. ).........

I always thought that " dono " means submit, as so and so submit ( this sword ).

milt THE ronin

Hi milt,

The Deron's translation is correct. "dono (殿)" is always a honorific as Mr. Usually more official than sama (様).

Here is a pic of the signature.

Hi Leroy,

I found a strange fact. The date on the nakago is "Genji gan nen ichi gatsu hi (元治元年一月日)". It means January, 1864. But actually, Genji era started on February 20th, 1864 and ended on April 7th, 1865. So, a day in January 1864 could not be a day in Genji era. :oops:

Any chance this could also be translated: "the first month of the Genji Era"? First month = February ?

Hi Curran,

I do not think that "ichi gatsu (一月)" means the first month in that sence.

But of course there are always any possibilities that I do not know.

At first, I thought a possibility that Feb. 1864 was expressed in the current solar calendar and was equvalent to Jan. 1864 in the old luni-solar calendar on that Mei. But that possibility was denied, because I found the first date of Genji era was Feb. 20th 1864 and it is expressed in the luni-solar calendar at that time. The date was Mar. 27th 1864 in the current solar calendar.

Mr. Nobody,

Thank you. I was just curious if it could be read the other way. We often feel Japanese leaves much to inference. I did not know if this could be true even of " ichi gatsu".

I wish it were possible to more actively study Japanese where I live now- but it is very difficult to find a teacher here. Learning from books without human interaction allows for too much 'interpretation error'.

have a question.

milt THE ronin

Hi Milt,

Sorry... that paper isn't for my sword. It's for another that I found that seemed similar. I hung onto it for my own future reference. These webpages aren't public, they're only for my own reference so you'll find some info that I go back to now and then.

Deron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..