This Week's Edo Period Corner

Agreed, and in good condition too. :clap:

Thank you Ron for asking just the right questions. :lol:

And no, now is not the time for me to come back with something similar. :rotfl:

I do have an eclectic collection of Edo lighting artifacts as this is a sort of sub hobby,

and being right proud of them I was indeed planning to post them here in the Edo Corner

a couple of years back, but it didn't happen.

One day I will (like Ian but on a lesser scale) catalogue them and shoot them for my own

satisfaction, and more so for the further edification of the honourable members. :glee:

Piers/Eric, do you know if any original Japanese flashlight/torch style handheld lanterns are still around ?

I mean the ones you see used at night in Chushingura etc... A lantern part with an inverted bucket shape part which beams out the light... No images, sorry...

KM

Henk, do you mean a gando?

100_8218.jpg

100_8219.jpg

That is exactly what I meant !! Thank you ! never seen an original, only the film stuff and was always curious about them :)

KM

Those few that I have seen tend to be in very poor condition. They may have repairs or restoration,

and I usually find myself wondering whether they are not reproductions... plus the dealer often puts

a hard sell and a high price on it...

Dear Eric,

VERY nice indeed, ... it begs the question, .... where the hell to you store all of your goodies. :D ?

... Ron Watson

Ron, I am lucky enough to have the use of a very secure vacant condo in Atlanta, far away from the crime and hurricanes of New Orleans, I wonder the same thing about you guys, especially Piers, I have the image of his office being a secret store room over flowing with treasures from the various antique stores he knows about...Im jealous.

Henk, here is the other side on my gando, it seems to be missing a handle, a piece of old tin should fix that, and I collected some images for you.

http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/zz23 ... ?start=all

100_8220.jpg

Thank you very much eric !! yes it misses a handle if i compare it to the ones which i saw in motion pictures as well as on ancient prints and model kits. I was lucky to obtain almost the entire Aoshima 1/35 Samurai collection. Still missing a few boxes though... http://www.droichead.net/sashimono/samu ... aetze.html

The photos in the link you posted are great ! Perfect to make a replica :) If you have any measurements that would be most welcome !!

KM

Dear Piers, Ian, et al :

Back on page 113 of This Week's Edo Period Corner, ... I/We were discussing a dried out Gun Case I have and which I want to preserve and soften the leather. I had noticed some indications of rot developing as well, therefore the haste in finding a suitable method of restoration. I promised to get back to the forum with the results and method of restoration so here goes :

I did some Internet Research and found a company that specializes in leather preservation and conditioning. The Company name is : Preservation Solutions, LLC, Golden, Colorado 80403, USA WEB SITE :

http://www.preservation-solutions.com I spoke some length with their technical experts and were advised that the product they recommended was developed for Museums. The product name : Leather Rejuvenator.

1st. I removed the stitching so as to get a better working surface.

2nd I slowly stretched the two halves apart over a period of three days.

3rd. Following their instructions I lightly dampened the inside surface of the case with luke warm water using a sponge. The whole gun case was then sealed in plastic for 6 hours to allow the leather to soften.

4th. After removing the case from the plastic wrap, I found it had softened to the point that I was now able to lay the whole case on it's back and spread the two leather halves apart without fear of tearing.

5th. Using a sponge BRUSH I applied a generous coating of Leather Rejuvenator to the leather. As per instructions the case was once again wrapped in plastic and left for 24 hours for the chemical reaction to take place.

6th. After the 24 hours were up, I removed the case and allowed it to dry slowly at around 65 degrees F for a couple of days. Since it felt dry to the touch, yet supple I felt it ready to proceed with the next step in my restoration / preservation approach. Given that I had noticed some rot setting into the leather I decided to add a leather liner to give the leather strength and preserve the case.

7th. I acquired a suitable piece of tanned calf hide ( leather ), .... and cutting this to fit the inside of the gun case.

8th. I applied Contact Cement to both the inside of the gun case and to one side of the calf hide and then very carefully applied the calf hide to my inside gun case. This I allowed to dry for 24 hours carefully pressing the inside and the outside of the gun case together to make sure I had a good bond.

9th. Since it appeared the next day that I had a good bond, and that the case was flexible and still supple, .... I re-stitched the case using the same holes that were original to the old stitching.

10th. I now inserted the 8 monme tanegashima, and voila it fit like a glove. I have left the tanegashima inserted for well over a week now, ... and today removed it to see if the leather was still supple or whether it had dried out around the form of the gun. The gun was withdrawn with ease and the leather appears to be both supple and strong. Although it was a shame to have to use a liner, ... I feel this was the correct choice in order to preserve this rather rare artifact for my enjoyment as well as future collectors enjoyment.

I hope you all learned a little, ... and of course I will gladly answer any questions. I am also happy to entertain criticisms.

Submitted with respect for NMB members, ... Ron Watson

post-1782-1419680814616_thumb.jpg

post-1782-14196808147808_thumb.jpg

post-1782-14196808149937_thumb.jpg

post-1782-14196808151608_thumb.jpg

Personally I think you have done a sterling job, Ron. Many thanks for the report. I am most jealous of your gun case and what you have done with it. Excellent results and a new life can ensue! :clap:

In a leather shop the other day I asked about restoring leather with urushi on one side and the lady looked doubtful. You took the bull by the horns! :thanks:

Incidentally I found a long brown one with Kamon on it the other day and asked if the owner would part with it. Slightly ripped but otherwise in good condition. Sadly he refused. He often gives in with a bit of extra persuasion, but I was surprised by his resistance this time. It's 'Shiryo' he said, vaguely meaning ''research material', with overtones of 'proof of something that existed' or 'a rare example for future generations which should really be preserved and kept' ie... 'not for sale'.

Dear Piers,

The Urushi was the major worry, ... I had great fears that the Leather Rejuvenator might cause the urushi to soften and peel away, or worse yet dissolve ! I was careful to try a small area first to see if this might happen ( thankfully it did not ). The second great worry was how the contact cement might not stick to the treated leather ( so far so good ) ... thankfully ! In fact any spots where the urushi was flaking previously on weakened spots were stablilized to the leather treated with the contact cement. ALL in all so far I am quite pleased with the product and the results. Surely after this many weeks I should have seen any problems that were if they were going to arise. I am hoping Ian will step in here as well and give me a little reassurance as I know he has considerable experience with Museum conservation.

With respect to the Gun Case you seen the other day, .... patience and determination are the key to acquiring a given artifact. The Naginata that I own took a full 10 years of haggling before I acquired it ! :phew:

... Ron Watson

I am most jealous of your gun case and what you have done with it. Excellent results and a new life can ensue! :clap:

I am most jealous of the gun!!! Ron, it looks like a Kunitomo piece; at least, it appears nearly identical to my Kunitomo gun signed KATSUMASA. Is yours signed?? I love these shorter, heavier pieces with the internal coil spring. Very neat, streamlined appearance.

Regards,

Barry Thomas.

Head strap carrier? the ends are attached by a cord that stops the ends from drifting apart too far, but I suspect that there is a rod goes between the two ends through the loops. The centre is placed on the forehead and the ends hang down behind and can be used to carry stuff around. :doubt:

(Probably way out on this guess).

Agreed. They were the closest next door neighbour and shared much with each other, but unfortunately very little was recorded and the Ainu lost everything. (A bit like the native Indian tribes as the white settlers moving west?)

There are interesting materials available, but I suspect much of it is still in Japanese.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Ainu to a city recovering from nights of riots.

This is a huge stab in the dark, but I have been looking for images of (mythical?) umi no kaibutsu, or sea creatures from the Edo Period. I know that fishermen around the coasts of Japan referred to sharks as Same' and Fuka, yes, but also as "Wani", a word we nowadays know means alligator/crocodile. Wani seems to be a very old word, perhaps illustrating a water creature with rows of teeth. (Wa = Ha?) I remember seeing an illustration once of Wani in a Hyo-ryu-ki or narrative of people washed away from the shores of Japan. It was obvious that the artist had seen neither and had come up with a composite. :thanks:

Not sure if this is it but I had this link saved, described as being Meiji Period and looks to be a Meiji period Weekly World News or National Enquirer (google Bat Boy for a god laugh) :

For a brief period in the mid-1870s, artistic woodblock prints known as "newspaper nishiki-e" were a popular form of mass entertainment in Japan. These colrful prints fed the public's enormous appetite for sensationalism by retelling shocking stories culled from the major newspapers of the day. The Meiji government swiftly cracked down on the publishers of these "unofficial" sources of information, causing them to disappear as quickly as they had appeared, but not before hundreds of issues had been published and circulated around Japan. While newspaper nishiki-e most often retold stories of scandalous or heinous crimes, they occasionally presented accounts of monsters, ghosts and mysterious happenings, such as the ones included here.

http://pinktentacle.com/2008/10/monster ... ws-prints/

source http://www.wul.waseda.ac.jp/kosho/bunko ... index.html

Not what you were looking for, but the same blog had some other good posts of Supernatural/mythological prints so I figured I'd add them:

http://pinktentacle.com/2011/03/monster ... utsu-ehon/

http://pinktentacle.com/2011/04/namazu- ... sh-prints/

http://pinktentacle.com/2010/04/kaikida ... er-scroll/

I'd love to see sword fittings with these kinds of themes on them, even if they are considered Meiji export pieces

Regards,

Lance

post-2802-14196809799362_thumb.jpg

post-2802-14196809803148_thumb.jpg

post-2802-14196809807178_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Recently I purchased this pair of Kiahan or kyahan on ebay, I also bought this kobakama from the same seller but separate from the kiahan. When the items arrived I started to photograph them when I noticed that the kiahan and the kobakama were a matched set. I makes me mad that someone would not sell matched items together.

fig04.png

100_1747.jpg

fig03.png

100_1727.jpg

100_1738.jpg

100_17m54.jpg