This Week's Edo Period Corner

Piers, I too have had wonderful times picking up 'rubbish' in the flea-markets of Tokyo and Kyoto. You are right, so much is regarded as junk that they just don't rate. I've had tsuka covers and saya covers for peanuts - items that just didn't seem to have been brought back in Victorian times and hardly ever occur in the UK.
This statement reminded me of a few items I had stashed away, here are a few pictures of some saya and tsuka covers and one long cover that I am not sure what it was for.

tsukaandsayacovers.jpg

largecover.jpg

tsukacovers.jpg

100_1097.jpg

Eric, Your long cover is for a yari. I once had one, with its saya, that it would have fitted. It is one of the very few items I bitterly regret parting with. I remember trading with it but not what for. In those days there was so much about you always had the feeling that another would come along - needless to say it didn't. It is now a very long time ago, but as I remember the blade was some 33" long with a short shaft about 4 foot long. The blade had a very broad deep groove so that in section it was much like a piece of angle-iron for much of its length to keep the weight down. It had this long saya, covered in that deeply dimpled black lacquer, that flared out at the base just like your cover. All I remember was that it was by a Soshu smith about 1580. Ah well - you can't keep everything.

Ian

Eric, Your long cover is for a yari. I once had one, with its saya, that it would have fitted....... Ah well - you can't keep everything.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I was wondering if it might have been for a Tanegashima, that would be one wicked yari. Actually everything we have we are just holding for the next person in line.

Something like this one?

oteginereplica.jpg

My goodness, Eric, you do come up with some unusual things!

Yes, I have parted with things over the years and just occasionally one thing really causes regrets.

Anyway, I was meaning to post this earlier today to illustrate some of Eric's bits, but only just got

around to it. I do not think it is old, per se, but quite an interesting scene. (The red seal says 箱根八里)

post-601-14196804687483_thumb.jpg

post-601-141968046913_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Piers, great picture, it looks like the samurai have covers on the tsuka of their swords, do the retainers only have one sword? Those poles for carrying trunks, an example of something that must have been very common at one time and yet I have never seem one for sale, just a small square pole but were have they all gone?

• Like 1

I believe that these tsuba covers would be a necessity when traveling in the dusty Japanese roads... At least for the silk ito of the samurai, the ashigaru were not a factor to consider anyway...

Oops. I got all kinds of warning bells and whistles when I clicked on that... :phew:

PS pics posted above.

Dont worry Piers, its safe :dunno: I dont believe I have seen those tsuka covers being used before, I like those uniforms to, some sour looking individuals though.

Eric, Yes, something like that but not quite as big in the blade and without a tsuba. The saya in the background is just about the silliest I've seen. To think some poor cow donated its hide to that confection. As for the whereabouts of all the square carrying poles, they are stored in the same warehouse as the noses from menpo, sashimono poles and maedate. I would love to find out where its located.

Ian Bottomley

The saya in the background is just about the silliest I've seen. To think some poor cow donated its hide to that confection. As for the whereabouts of all the square carrying poles, they are stored in the same warehouse as the noses from menpo, sashimono poles and maedate. I would love to find out where its located.

Ian, to be fair that yari is a supposed to be a recreation of some mythical yari "Otegine"

Yes were are all those sashimono poles???, there must have been vast amounts of these tansu, hitsu poles and sashimono poles but they have mysteriously vanished. Probably recycled into some object we just do not recognize the origin of. Here is an example, a kanabo that was made from some other object, I just cant figure out what. The square end reminds me of one of those carrying poles.

100_9691e.jpg

As far as I know, Eric, these were called Tsuka-bukuro. There was also a Saya-bukuro for the sheath.

With guns they used a Teppo-bukuro.

Presumably with a spear, the Fukuro was to cover the Saya, so it could have been a Yari-no-saya-bukuro,

or a Yarizaya-bukuro.

This weekend I have been asking around experts and dealers to see if there might not be a Hasami-bako

Sao carrying-pole somewhere. Even worm-eaten. The general opinion is, as Ian says, they are as rare as

hen's teeth, (to use the gentler of the two expressions). Now if the porters gladly threw them all away or

turned them into axe handles, short spears, etc., then I wonder if it might not have been an expression of

freedom from the feudal era? If each one of them had one family pole handed down, then each of the

people caught at the bottom of society might have been happy to trash this symbol

of their slavery???

Piers, thanks for the terms and for asking about those handles. , I took a little closer look at the kanabo and it really looks like it was a carrying handle in a former life, it is square on one end and part way down the shaft there is a u shaped groove were the handle of a trunk could rest to keep the trunk from slipping while being carried.

kanabohandle.jpg

Eric.

Not necessarily in a former life....... Perhaps a dual purpose item? Its hard to carry both a weapon and a box on a pole. Why not have the pole function as a kanebo in an emergency? Looking at the piece in question it could still function in either capacity exactly as it is.

Double post here.

One is an Ishi-tsuki for a Yari. Now about two or three years ago someone on this site (...Jean?) asked me f I could get Ishi-tsuki. They do occasionally come up, so for some reason I bought this one this morning. A bit rusty.

Length 8cm, internal diameter 2.7cm, internal depth 2.5cm, two holes.

The second object is ... well, let's see if anyone can guess correctly! :badgrin:

Overall length 24cm (9.5 inches)

post-601-14196804982283_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196804984937_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196804987347_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196804989537_thumb.jpg

Ah, now that is very close, :clap: but not exactly the same, because those were used in every household,

but the one in the sheath above is a) not hollow all the way through and b) it was used by an inspector

in the district government warehouse.

post-601-14196805057253_thumb.jpg

Eric.

Not necessarily in a former life....... Perhaps a dual purpose item? Its hard to carry both a weapon and a box on a pole. Why not have the pole function as a kanebo in an emergency? Looking at the piece in question it could still function in either capacity exactly as it is.

Keith I hadnt thought of that, you could be right and that would explain why someone went to the trouble in the first place to make such an item.