I - Katana

Hi Peter, what a way to mix technology with tradition. Would be interesting to hear colectors opinions of these. Could be a good way to help promote Nihonto. Personaly I think I would prefer these blades in traditional mounts but theres no way I could ever afford them at that price anyway. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

• Like 1

Not a fan of automating the process on any level. One of the things I cherish about Nihonto is the love of the craft that was required to create each and every piece. While these look cool, and I respect the thought and energies being put towards them, Pushing a button to carve the saya or using a 5 axis machine to make the fittings feels like cheating, and detracts from the piece. This is more the craftsman in me speaking. When I take on a commission for someone, dozens of hours of my life,  my sweat, and blood are literally in every piece ( I should buy stock in Bandaid brand). As a result, my customer gets a piece of my soul in the delivered piece. Here, that seem less the case and thus I have a hard time legitimizing a $294,000 price tag.

The lacquer work is well done though.

Cant really say anything about the blade as I couldn't really see it. 

That's my: 

1864-2-cent-coin-reverse.jpg

Kurt k

• Like 3

Interesting and incredible nice symbiosis between traditional craftsmanship, modern technology and design. I think the price reflects more the idea then the actual value.

PS: I've the feeling, that the tsuka of the katana seems a bit too short.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..