New sword owner needs help identifying and confirming auth.

GenesisFactor

First,forgive me for not using the Japanese terminology. 4 years of french taught me enough to simply ask "tu parles anglais?". 3 days of research won't get me too far.

You probably get one of these every so often, but here goes...

These are two swords i traded for computer work with someone. One, he stated, was handmade, and had some cards or a kill sheet or something, that he never found, and the other was a machine made NCO sword (i found that out myself). However, i know he wasn't the best read when it comes to these things, he drenched one sword with olive oil, so i bring it up to you. From my research, they SEEM authentic...

The retaining pin was cracked in half, thus answering my question on why the blade was loose. I shall be buying on of them soon.

Also, i am wondering if these cleaning kits i see on ebay are worth it I am a college student just barely making it by. $1k for a polish and $45 for a cleaning kit is a little too rich for my blood. Don't ask why i got them, i just seem to stumble upon gear for expensive hobbies, like SCUBA. I do, however, have a desire to learn and honor these weapons. I understnad the care and craftsmanship behind them, and since i have no intent to get rid of them, i would like to also learn the easiest, cheapest way to maintain these hopefully valuable pieces of art.

Thanks in advanced!

Pictures in the post below!

first off it would be nice if you cropped and reduced the size of your pix, some are still on dail up.

Second per the sign on rules you need to use a first name at least.

one sword with the metal handle is a NCO and not true Nihonto so its not related to the board, the second is dated showa ju roku or 1941, the maker is Yoshi ? not sure of the last kanji someone or Nobody will bring it to light. it would be nice if you took the time to work on the first one.

Hi,

the one with the numbers stamped in the blade is an oil quenched machine made sword that has no value for any collector. If you would like to use it for tameshigiri than its OK.

But again the value is below $ 100,--

The other one is hard to tell as I am lausy in deciphering Japanese kanji. It maybe is of some value as long there is no arsenal stamp on the tang.

Andreas

The sword that isn't the NCO Gunto is Gunto as well. It is signed "Yoshiaki" and dated "Showa Ju Roku Nen", 1941.

You don't have to spend much money to care for these swords. Just keep an incredibly light coat of good machine oil (sewing machine oil will do) on the polished part (not the tang) of the blades and store them in a non-humid environment.

Grey

First, i apologize, for image size. i was hoping that detail would be my friend in this case. I will change my images to a link to the photo bucket :)

I plan to get the first one looking respectable. Today is the first day i took it out and the first time i took it apart. Like i said, the previous owner didn't know how to take care of them.

So machine made NCO swords have no value?

LOL, what's all these " nameless " bits.......geez, make up a first name and everyone will be happy.

There are other people that believe in Allah or intelligent design, so Genesis as a first name won't go down too well........

I sign my name as " milt ", but I never ever show my driver's license, so I could be Fred, Herman........ :badgrin:

milt ( that's what you all think my name is )

You don't have to buy a new pin (mekugi). You can whittle one out of a bamboo chopstick. It'll work fine.

NCO Guntos do have value, just not as much as less machine made Japanese swords. Early NCOs with a copper handle can be quite pricey. The highest price I've seen for the more common version, like yours, with the aluminum handle is $800. on ebay for one in absolute pristine condition. Somewhere between $200 and $400 is more reasonable for an NCO, I would guess.

Grey

Andreas,

I will take every genuine NCO Gunto you can find for $100 each!

The standard NCO swords are fetching around $500 on eBay every time. Off eBay, cheaper. They are NOT junk...just not traditionally made. They are militaria instead of Nihonto, and there are many collectors.

As for the name..you can use any log in name, just sign the bottom of your posts with a real name, or add it to your profile.

Brian

• 16 years later...

Search Terms

Type 95 Military Sword, Kokura Arsenal, Gifu, Gunto.

Type 98 with leather scabbard, Seki swordsmith, Mishina.

義明 Yoshiaki.

昭和十六年 1941.