Military Gunto Preservation And Repairs... How Do You Guys Do It!?

Reddawn27

So the more I look into the world of Japanese sword collection.. In the military camp of collectors.. What is allowed and abosolutly not allowed in preserving your sword concerning two parts...how to deal with cracks or splits in wood sayas and the proper way to care for leather cover guntos. I happen to love the way they look but most are always sadly in poor condition. Now I've read some threads and it would seem that the proper way to preserve swords with cracked or splitting sayas is to use Rice glue for the wood repair. As for leather care .. This one seems tricky.. I've read were the use of Saddle soap is Ok as long is it dose not have mineral oil or vaseline in the mix. Now I know and understand those say thing should be left as is and I'm all on board with that..but at the same time preserving also means maintaining .. .. So would using saddle soap or the like qualify as proper matinace for leather WWII swords??

its expensive but "renaissance wax" is good, but also Waproo renovationg polish, it contains all natural waxs.

both are good for many reasons.

1, they don't change the colour of the leather

2, they don't make the leather soft and likely to tear, like saddle soap

3, and things like Dublin do long term damage by sealing the leather to the point of the internal leather drys from not being able to breath

I have found the leather in the nco tassels are time bombs, unless they are in excellent condition just move them on, to prevent heart ache watching them fall apart

• Like 1

For renovating and rejuvenating old military leather, I use neatsfoot oïl, a very traditional product. You apply it on old leather with a handbrush, let it be absorbed for 24 hours, then apply another layer. With three layers, your leather should be perfect, if only a bit darker.

It is traditionally used for saddles and leather straps and also for horse feet and hooves. Therefore it is readily available from horse gear shops. It is also very useful for long-unused shoes that may crack when put on. The only downside is regarding light coloured leather, which tends to become slightly darker, specially uncoloured tan leather. 

I used it on family military gear from WWI and it worked perfectly. Dry straps that would break like twigs became souple and sturdy anew.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..