Tokugawa Legacy

Henry,

I would have loved to see that exhibition. I curated one on his life here in the UK, in conjuction with Nikko Toshogu Shrine a couple of years ago. It was not of course on the scale of this, but some impressive items appeared nevertheless. What stirred me most was Ieyasu's umajirushi - his golden fan standard that was hoisted at all of his battles. What fascinated me was that it folded up like a real fan!

On the subject of Tokugawa wealth, I was wandering around Nikko with one of the priests and remarked that the cost must have nearly bankrupted Japan. He just smiled and commented it was paid for out of the petty cash. In their archives they have the wage slips of everyone involved in the shrine's construction, stating who made what and how much it cost. In total over 4.5 million people played a part in its construction. Now that's a work force.

Ian

see why it took so many people Ian. Making my first pilgrimage to Nikko just last month, I found the size of the place overwhelming. Every temple or building seeming to be almost bigger than the last. The place is massive and covers many acres of land. Below is a photo taken of the Rinnoji Temple area, with the two buildings being the Gomado hall on the left, and the Sanbutsudo Temple on the right. I have added a map of this particular area to give you a better idea of the scale. There are 4 or 5 areas like this all connected with paths. It is a lot of walking. The place is huge.

Nikko is a place that invokes a lot of emotion, for me anyway. For those going to Japan for the first time, or who haven't been there, put it on the top of your lists. It is only about 75 minutes from Tokyo.

Richard

post-5-1419674259443_thumb.jpg

post-5-14196742598536_thumb.jpg

Wow..I'm sorry I missed that when I was there.

Looks like it is a definite for the next trip. 4.5M ppl active in building it? :shock: Lucky for them there were no unions back in those days :D

Amazing history there, and looks beautiful.

Brian

Great pictures Rich....

My wife and I took my parents there the other year.... it is fantastic...

Also in the Nikko National Park is Lake Chuzenji which you have to get to by a road which has 48 hair raising hairpin turns and ascends about 1,500ft... there is the Chuzenji Onsen here too and the Kegon-no-taki, a spectacular, 97 meter high waterfall.

On the shore of the Lake is the 2nd Futarasan Shrine (the 1st being in NIKKO and the 3rd being at the top of the mountain). The lake shore shrine has a treasure house displaying Nihonto.

Autumn time when the leaves are turning, you get some crisp clear blue days, Lake Chuzenji and Nikko cannot be beaten.

Cheers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..