Was There Any Type Of Production Of Japanese Swords In Occupied Territories During Wwii

Reddawn27

Seems to fit in with all the other "made in occupied lands" swords discussed in this thread. There is one on this link with that same stamp (http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/5999-arsenal-stamps/page-8). The guys in that discussion called it fake, but having learned so much more about these kind of swords, lately, I would consider both to be legit - not Japanese, but made during the war for local troops cooperating with the Japanese.

This is what John Stuart had to say about the Kanji in the circle... post #170 in the Arsenal Stamps thread.

John A Stuart

Daimyo

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

The one stamp looks like 應 the verb ataru, one meaning 'to accept'. I don't know by whom this sword was accepted or OK'd. It does look like Chinese manufacture. 應 in Chinese is not used in the sense of acceptance though.In Chinese it is used as in this sentence " 我們應該去。" (Cantonese) "Ngo ying gai hueh. " " We should go. " Where 應 means 'should'.
John

Stegel, I am sorry but  I am not sure I follow. Does this mean that Mr. Stuart feels that although he thinks the swords are Chinese made, he believes the Kanji is most likely Japanese for "to accept" which would imply that these were made for the Japanese to be used for and by a unknown group? Thanks Ike.

• 2 months later...

With regard to the Vietnamese example, my very first Japanese sword was, and is, a koto Mino katana with an iron tsuba carefully remounted as a Burmese dha.  I have no idea of the history but I suspect that it whether it was captured and repurposed in Burma either during or just after the war.  I will try and get some pictures if anyone is interested.  (Perhaps not, just remembered the mounts are in the locker under the armour.)

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..