Help Identifying And Value Of Sword

Hi,

I have just inherited this sword from my father, it was from my grandfather.  I would like to know if it is authentic. If so what would be an approximate value? I was told it was brought home during WW2 in pieces by a great uncle. I've attached some pictures.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Edpost-3599-0-68630800-1457663313_thumb.jpgpost-3599-0-46242500-1457663359_thumb.jpgpost-3599-0-89111800-1457663399_thumb.jpgpost-3599-0-84652400-1457663436_thumb.jpgpost-3599-0-67897000-1457663484_thumb.jpgpost-3599-0-05865900-1457663538_thumb.jpgpost-3599-0-95887700-1457663564_thumb.jpgpost-3599-0-80222900-1457663599_thumb.jpgpost-3599-0-47984300-1457663635_thumb.jpg

It's a WW2 naval Kai Gunto with a stainless steel blade. They used stainless steel on the naval Gunto's to avoid rusting due to salt water etc.

It appears to be missing the Tsuba and it only has 1 ashi and some other anomalies, but I think it's a marine version which had some changes to the normal Navy ones.

As to value, whatever someone is willing to pay :)

I did sell one that was more complete in slightly better condition a couple of years ago for $750ish as a rough guide.

I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable in Gunto will come along to correct me.

Stephen i saw many of these swords in the past. In germany there are sold two on the egun plattform. Some called it Naval NCO Sword. All the same with these anchor stamp, cut nakago, type98 ashi, simple black saya, eg.
I could be wrong but i think I'm right. All are sold around $550

All the fittings of this sword is Typ98.

There are so many differents to a usual Kai Gunto

73101.jpg

(from ohmura study)

You find something in the book on late-war kai gunto.

Warman's World War II Collectibles: Identification and Price Guide

von Michael E. Haskew

on side 234

• Like 1

i am no expert on these. That being said i have been involved with swords for 30 years. I have seen hundreds of these swords and bought and sold dozens. My opinion is these are late war Navy of some type, NCO, cadet, or similar. There are just too many that are made the same way to be "put together". They come from Vet's and vet's families that brought them back. They are certainly lower quality than the early Navy swords but i see a lot of low quality late war army swords.  Just my opinion

These have been discussed in F&G too, and it seems there is no consensus. They use a Kai gunto blade, but not the typical tsuba. Always have those bright "gold" fittings.

I have also seen so many, I don't think they are put together or fake. But they aren't strictly speaking Kai Gunto.

Brian these gold fittings are almost Type98 Gunto parts.

I search the half day for this article of that Japanese Company how built this swords after the war from parts. Maybe someone knows what i mean.

I have a lot of books about WW2 Gunto Swords but in none is such a sword discribed. And there are so many out there.

Like I said, late war kai Gunto but modified for marines specifically as they were used on land and made accordingly for certain practicalities that regular navy troops wouldn't face.

I'll try to find my source when I get home. $550 does seem about right.

• 7 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..