Miniature Tachi By Tomonari

kusunokimasahige

Hello all,

Thanks to Roy I am now the proud owner of this sweet little Tango no Sekku (Boys Day) miniature tachi in shirasaya.

The maker is Tomonari but which generation the Mei is I do not know. Oshigata for boys day swords to compare mei are quite hard to find.
Would of course be cool if it was the first Tomonari but I guess this is a much later one. Whether this is a Sukenaga-Tomonari is also unclear.
The only other Tomonati boys day tachi I found was on Kevin's site and the mei is difficult to compare.
( http://www.ryujinswords.com/tomonari.htm )

It is slightly out of polish and a hamon is hardly discernable but maybe just a very careful touch up with hazuya might show something.
If that is done I will post additional images.

Having this polished would constitute quite a challenge for any polisher I think due to its size.

Length total blade including Nakago : 35.4 cm
Nagasa : 28 cm
Ha-machi to Munemachi : 1.8 cm
Zori: 0.9 cm
No nakago-ana
Signature Tachi-Mei: Tomonari

A full album can be found here :

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/IMPERIALCOMMAND/media/Tomonari%20Tachi/WP_20150905_13_26_44_Pro__highres_zpslgdbvfzv.jpg.html

To view superlarge detail images first press the magnifying glass and then right click on the image and view image

post-82-0-48600400-1441522598_thumb.jpg

Grey, you are not at all bursting any bubble. As I already stated I think this is a much later sword signed Tomonari.
The one Kevin had on his site was made in the 1850's. So only a polish and then shinsa might attest a maker :)

And then, when it is an homage, the question always is. How well known were Ko-Bizen smiths and their work during the later periods ?
All the lists compiled roaming around these days, did they also exist in the same form and with the same widespread

knowledge and exposure back then as they are now ? (a bit of a philosophical question but well...).
Say for instance you could go to a smith in Echigo around 1615 and ask him. Did you ever see Ko-Bizen work
and have you ever heard of this or that Smith ? He probably would say no. ;)

no actually there a lot of old records recording early smiths, certainly dating from the late 16th and early 17th centuries and I think I may have seen references to some even earlier. The names of top smith were well known from an early time. In a recenttly read book I remember an expert on court etiquet writing in the 14th century stated that an ubu signed blade by ko-Bizen smiths (he named them but I cant remember who) and signed Awataguchi daito were suitable gifts for the Shogun.

• Like 1

Interesting !! 

Indeed Japan has the benefit of having kept A LOT of their archives. And I guess knowledge would be widespread amongst some in the higher classes.
The book on shinto Smiths I once posted here which was printed in 1853 has great colour images of Hamon as well as Nakago and Mei.
So yes I guess that they in fact knew a lot more. :)

And Ko-Bizen or not, I just love my little sword.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..