New Book Out. Modern Japanese Swords: The Beginning Of The Gendaito Era

LakeBum

Well I guess this answers my question a little more.  This is a review from amazon I found today.  I like the fact that it goes indepth about individual swords and smiths of the time.  I hope the swords are differrent from the Modern Japanese Swords and Swordsmiths. 

"This book, Modern Japanese Swords: The Beginning of the Gendaito Era, illustrates how in more recent years, swords made in the past century have been increasingly viewed with a more forgiving eye, gaining greater acceptance and appreciation as art objects. The authors, Leon and Hiroko Kapp, have already contributed to this movement with a similar book published in 2002, Modern Japanese Swords and Swordsmiths: From 1868 to the Present (co-authored with Yoshindo Yoshihara, a 4th generation Japanese swordsmith well known here in the West), but here the focus is more narrowly on Japanese swords made between 1868 and 1945 rather than those made after sword-making was revived as an artform starting in 1953.

This paperback volume starts with a concise review of the relevant history of Japan during these years, beginning with the peacetime Haitorei Edict of 1876 that prohibited the wearing of swords in public and extending into the formation of the Yakakuni Forging Association and the Japanese Research and Forging Association, two organizations of swordmakers that were formed to revitalize the making of quality and functional swords in preparation for war on an international scale. The book then turns to a discussion of the different types of steel used during this period, ranging from the smelting of sand iron to make traditional steel (tamahagane) to the salvage of puddled steel from the likes of railroad tracks. Different steels and production methods can be recognized through close-up examination of the steel grain (jigane) and through the identification of stamped markings on the finished blades, with several macroscopic photographs of fine differences in jigane as well as a table of wartime stamps and a discussion of their meaning presented by the authors.

With that history and perspective established, the next 100 pages of Modern Japanese Swords shifts to 51 specific examples of individual swords, with two full pages devoted to each. Each blade has a short description of the maker and the blade itself, measurement specs, and photos of the full-length blade, its fittings (typically military mountings, when available), and close ups of both sides of the tang (nakago). The featured blades are key examples from many of the more famous and well-reputed makers of the gendaito era, including three generations of the Gassan family (Sadayoshi, Sadakazu, and Sadakatsu), Yoshihara Kuniie (as well as one modern blade by grandson Yoshindo Yoshihara), Miyairi Akihira (a National Treasure), Kasama Shigetsugu (arguably the most hallowed gendaito smith), Nagamitsu (a prolific smith of the era) as well as a Mantetsu sword (made from Manchurian railroad steel) and even one example of an unsigned (mumei) blade fashioned from non-traditional methods. Overall, the photography is quite good, although aside from several close-up photos of the steel grain, most of the swords do not have close-up photos of jigane and surface patterns (hada).

Overall, Modern Japanese Swords: The Beginning of the Gendaito Era is an excellent companion to the authors’ earlier work, Modern Japanese Swords and Swordsmiths: From 1868 to the Present (the book reviewed here adds Leo Monson as a co-author, without Yoshindo Yoshihara from the earlier volume). Though there is some overlap in terms of history, the focus of each is really on Japanese swords made during two distinct halves of the past century, which the authors like to characterize as gendaito (modern swords) and shin-gendaito (new modern swords). As such, Modern Japanese Swords: The Beginning of the Gendaito Era is a somewhat unique volume focusing on gendaito (Tom Kishida’s now out of print book about Yasakuni Swords and John Slough’s Oshigata Book are exceptions, but have a different focus). Since gendaito often represent an opportunity to own a “real samurai sword” at a relative bargain (i.e. starting at a few hundred dollars), this is an excellent book for beginning collectors interested in dipping their feet into the world of nihonto. It also fills an important historical gap for all nihonto enthusiasts who until recently have neglected gendaito swords. Kudos to the authors for helping us move past old prejudices about these blades."

• Like 1

:crazy:

I thought Mr and Mrs Kapp knew better?

Did they not read the RJT documents provided by Morita san and translated by George Trotter?

http://www.militaria.co.za/articles/RJT_Info.pdf

Blades will be of tamahagane and hocho‐tetsu and charcoal will be used. The strongest
methods of sword forging, combining toughness and structure will be enforced on
commencement (as described in the enclosure for style in Form 4). Ha‐ko carbon content will
be 0.5 – 0.7% range. Hocho‐tetsucarbon carburizing will be controlled by multi fold‐forging.
Carbon control will be in the 0.05 – 0.25% range.

Well I just got my copy from amazon today and its not a bad little reference.  It has 51 blades pictured with close ups of the signatures.  Each blade gets a full measurement and profile make up.  It even gives a few blurbs about the smith.  

The blades in the book are from the smiths Gassan Sadayoshi, gassan Sadakazu, Miyamoto Kaneori, Gassan Sadakatsu (4 of these), Yoriyoshi(Enomoto Sadayoshi), Minamoto Sadayoshi, Minamoto Katsumasa, Yanagawa Naohiro, Kurihara Akihide, Yoshihara Kuniie, Kasama Shigetsugu, Akimitsu, Akihisa(2), Akinobu, Masatsugu, Miyairi Akihira, Hideaki(2), Yasutsugu, Yasumitsu, Yasuhiro(2), Toshihiro, Kunimori, Yasuoki, Yasunobu, Yasunori, Tsukamoto Okimasa, Kanenobu, Kato Kanefusa, Minamoto Yoshiickika (sho dai), Minamoto Yoshichika (ni dai), Ryujin Ikkansai Kuniteru, Masakiyo, Takahashi Yoshimune, Koa Isshin Mantetsu, Nobufusa, Ichihara Tatsuoki, Ichiyushi Nagamitsu, Takeshita Yasukuni (2), Hiromistu, Sadaroku, Ihara Teruhide, Hiromitsu, Yoshihara Yoshindo. 

Some of the blades come with pictures of the mounts and some are just swords.  If you want to know anymore details just say so, I'd be glad to give back to the forum for all your guys patience with me.

Hello:

The Kiku-sui inscription of the Minatogawa is not a stamp. Each is individually engraved! The authors are fully aware of that by now and I am told they do not describe it as a "stamp" in the new book. Swords made at the Minatogawa Jinja are most certainly traditionally made, as traditionally made as those at the Yasukuni Jinja and about them no doubt has ever been raised. There is literature out on the Jinja, see: Herman A. Wallinga. Gendaito Made at the Minatogawa Shrine, July 2000. Swords of both the Minatogawa Jinja and the Yasukuni Jinja have papered for years. The most casual observation of the stamps, by the way, each of which is superimposed on the shinogi of the nakago and thus intersected by the shinogi  and the kiku's petals are intersected at different displacements blade to blade. That would not be consistent with a single stamp used for multiple blades because of the angle caused by the shinogi line (if that is the correct term for it there) which runs through the nakago.

Arnold F.

Well it has two examples of his work.  One from his actual name Ichihara Tatsuoki and then one with the Nagamitsu.  It says that rumor has it that "It has been mentioned that some Nagamitsu swords were apparently signed by different smiths, so presumably, Nagamitsu had many assistants or students."  He says it is due to the large number of Nagamitsu swords made during the period.  It says that Ichihara worked for the army as a smith in Osaka and was very prolific.  There is no mention of where he got his training :(.  There is a macro shot for the sword with itame hada and the suguha ko-midare with ko-gunome and ashi hamon though.  

• Like 1

This book is the first source I have ever seen to mention Nagamitsu's real name. That must have come from somewhere...

Could you check if they mention any specific source? Or does anyone know how to contact the Kapps?

P.S.: I already told Markus about this for his Gendaito book project.

Damn...spent ten min trying to copy and cut that on my laptop...had to go to big PC to do it only to find the BRAIN had done thelink...lol

anyway for those to lazy to click it ...ha ha

Customer Review

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
stars-2-0._V192240756_.gif Left wanting..., September 3, 2015

Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Modern Japanese Swords: The Beginning of the Gendaito era (Paperback)
While I commend the efforts of anyone who takes the time to actual publish a book, I was, frankly, disappointed with this publication. I had hoped for some new research and scholarship since much has been discovered regarding swords of this period over the last 20 years, but instead, saw little new insight and several old and erroneous opinions presented, seemingly oblivious to new research in the field.

I had also hoped for a more detailed survey of the players and events which shaped and helped define the swords of this period; what little was mentioned was mostly glossed over. The yearly sword making contests sponsored by the Ministry of Culture, the Rikugun Jumei Tosho program, the Chuo Token Kai, Minatogawa Jinja, Toyama Mitsuru, Araki Sadao, Arisugawa no Miya, and many others who sponsored and patronized the craft, all deserved detailed mention.

The book could have benefited greatly from better editing and proofreading.

The scholarship left a bit to be desired as well as there were many factual errors which could have easily been avoided with a bit more rigorous research. For example, the Rikugun Jumei Tosho program instituted by the Imperial Army mandated the use of tamahagane for swords made by Jumei Tosho under Army contract. These were rigorously tested and inspected and stamped with a star. War era documents, as well as modern Japanese publications have proved this conclusively, yet the author still stipulates that the star stamp indicates non-traditional manufacture. We know several star stamped swords have passed NBTHK shinsa. This is a major flaw in the publication.

There were likewise several errors in the blade section: Enomoto Sadayoshi was not the father of the Ningen Kokuho smith Amada Akitsugu; Miyaguchi Yasuhiro used the mei Kunimori on blades made of yo-tetsu (Western steel), not those made at the Okura Tanrenjo-which was not, as stated, the "Black Dragon Society Forge" (the forge at Toyama Mitsuru's estate is often mistakenly called this as he was a founder of the Kokuryukai - translated as the "Black Dragon Society"). The early Showa smith Yanagawa Naohiro was not a student of Taikei Naotane. Yoshihara Kuniie is not known to have made "very long swords". War era smiths are repeatedly said to have made swords with "simple" hamon yet this is not consistent with the record. Funbari is repeatedly misused in reference to a narrowing of the blade to the point (it is a narrowing in the first 6-8 inches of the blade)... Comments made about Horii Toshihide/Hideaki's use of cannon steel indicate that the author isn't familiar with the common technique smiths use called "oroshi-gane" to adjust the carbon content and condition non-tamahagane steels for use in blade making.

Given the hundreds of smiths from this period, I wish more of them would have been given their due, rather than show 3-4 blades by the same smith. Early, important period smiths like Hayama Enshin, Monji Masatsugu, Ikkansai Shigetoshi, Horii Taneaki, Watanabe Kanenaga, and the like, weren't even mentioned.

I also couldn't help but wonder why pictures of post war swords and smiths were used in the book when the title of the book purported to be on smiths from the beginning of the gendai era. It would have been nice to have seen more photos of period smiths and swords instead.

I don't want to be completely negative- the book, caveats aside, is a nice intro to the period. It just could have been much more satisfying...

This book is the first source I have ever seen to mention Nagamitsu's real name. That must have come from somewhere...

Could you check if they mention any specific source? Or does anyone know how to contact the Kapps?

P.S.: I already told Markus about this for his Gendaito book project.

Actually this was mentioned in an ebay Nagamitsu sword sale. However, the seller also said he was the warden of the Okayama Prison (which is incorrect; therefore I doubt the validity of the name also). No references were given.

Rich

Hi,
I got Leon Kapp's new book today,it's a [Modern Japanese swords:The beginning of the gendaito era].

On page 128,"Tatsuoki is the personal name of the smith who usually signed his work Nagamitsu,-----"

Do they have something certain evidence about it?
I believe only evidence(old paper,old books).
Is there any member here who can contact the authors ?

Morita San -

I agree completely. I want to see some hard, historical documentation before I accept this mei as correctly interpreted as regards it being the actual mei of Nagamitsu.

Given the many dozens, pehaps hundreds, of Nagamitsu blades known, that this is the only one with this

mei I find the conclusion quite suspect.

Rich

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..