Just Got This Wakizashi- Id Help?

Steve

I can go along with Shinto, doubtful about Hizen based on shape rather than anything else. I would normally expect Hizen blades to have an elegant sugata, yours looks a bit chunky, even allowing for the fact that it is suriage, which looks to have been done rather crudely.

For no other reason than to eliminate them from your appraisal take a look at Owari and then some more provincial schools as possibles. Again in it's current condition tying this down will be very difficult.

I am not finding a lot of photos of Owari swords so far, interesting reading though. I need to get a battery for my calipers and then I will take and post some measurements.

Here are the dimensions for whatever they are worth. Nagasa 18 1/16 (45.7 mm),  Sori .41" (10.5 mm appears to have been saki zori possibly before the very crude o suriage,  nakago kiri, takonoha yasurime, Shinogizukuri with a high shinogi, .21" (5.5mm) at machi,  Hako mune, hiraniku tsuku, saki kasane .12" (3.13mm), saki haba .88" (22.6mm), motokasane .09" (2.3mm), motohaba 1.28" (32.7mm). hamon is notare midareba in nioi with a little ko nie; hada is nashiji. Boshi is notare komi ko maru ( not jizu as I said earlier.) Still researching to find a good match for school. This very well might be a heavily cut down tachi. Kissaki has been reshaped to reform the tip as well, but boshi is present.

• 2 months later...

I just came back from an aikido seminar in Honolulu; I also had the chance to consult with Benson-san regarding this sword. His feeling was that it wasn't too old, but had the appearance reminiscent of a suriage Koto tachi, was a decently made sword, lots of life left, and that the polishing was appropriate. He did not suggest shinsa, so I am thinking it is not worth submission. I will continue digging to try to find similar works.

Forgot to add that he has some really nice koshirae on hand on the Bushido website as well as tsuba and other furniture.....he always has more stuff for sale than gets listed so it it worth calling to see what is available.

Having seen what you did there I can only say this....

And that, my friends. Is how you ruin a sword.

Not that there was much to ruin. the sword in its original state was already horrible. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Suriage (really really shortened nakago)

And a kissaki which was already very misshaped.

You will not like my remark. But that is my opinion and I stand by it.

• Like 1

The last photos were not of the current polish, nor is it complete yet....but as you say the sword was already ruined. Are you a polisher? Your opinion is yours and you are welcome to it, it has little bearing on anything in my world. As per Brian's request, I will not discuss specifics regarding (my) polishing, nor should you. I suppose you would have left it to other blade smiths to reshape the blade and handle further and mount an antler handle on it for a house sword, as was contemplated by the previous owner. Your opinion smells bad.

Oh I am very interested in the end result Steve. No my assertion about the sword not being very valuable before polish was based on its condition, the nakago which was obviously shortened way too much judging from the position of the nakago-ana and the horendous misshaped kissaki.

But please do show the end result since of course that is the best way to judge anyones proficiency.

And for your smelling bad remark. Ah well...