Tsuba Fussing, Before And After

wublet

I’m not entirely sure how contentious an issue this is, but I’d love to see some of the examples of work done by others, so I’ll start with my very first purchase. It was done with advice linked here with some old ivory, a plastic toothbrush, some tooth picks and a great deal of elbow grease. There’s a little more to be done so please don’t be too harsh :P

The original pictures aren’t mine so take them with a pinch of salt.

post-3026-0-06671900-1420327732_thumb.jpg

post-3026-0-19687900-1420327746_thumb.jpg

post-3026-0-15912200-1420327761_thumb.jpg

post-3026-0-90316800-1420327774_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I was wondering about trying to re-patina those elements but it seemed very fiddly with my eyesight and I really didn't know how or if any solution used would affect the iron. Some research needed there methinks.

I'd be very interested to hear why you think the copper and brass weren't original though; most intriguing.

Jeff, I only meant the patina that was on the copper and brass was unlikely to be original. I say that because of the overall condition of the tsuba when you aquired it, clearly it hadn't been cared for.  Best to leave it alone to develop a patina on it's own. Anything you can apply may tarnish it but it won't be 'right' and will stand out as an obvious touch up.

Ford,

Ah, I thought after posting it may be something like that. Thank you.

I'd still be interested to see this sort of work as done by other amateurs; is that the right word? Well it describes me anyway. Any takers?

Seen your videos, Ford so I know what you can do :clap:

Thank you ford. I've been trying to search that on the internet to find out what would happen to the iron. The question then becomes how did the Japanese patinate just the copper, shibuichi, silver, and shakudo parts inlayed into old iron without harming the iron? Cold patination processes?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..