Honjo Masamune found!! (well almost... maybe)

25 minutes ago, kissakai said:

I was reminded of a similar line from Spariticus
But this time:

'I am the Honjo Masamune, no I am the Honjo Masamune, no I am the Honjo Masamune etc

I see the owner has a nickname of PARRY more

Maybe just seeing how many bites they can get!

look man i never said it’s the honjo 

or even real but quite possibly a old fake 

but there is nothing

so far that says nothing

that it’s a fake masamune

either way i’m keeping it if it was fake or genuine

i have friends in Japan i would love to visit them ans take it for inspection 

33 minutes ago, parry more said:

AC5A032B-3357-4F99-A963-ED908B44486E.jpeg

Great find Parry..let me read that..Masaaaa mune....yup...not gimei... Great looking sword by the way, it even have two m&m holes. And if you can only share the pictures of rest of the blade we can all officially announce that you have the real deal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

i already said it two times not for sale even if one of you did want to buy it  😆

and if it was real

and you wanted to steal it your gonna have to learn to use a boat to find me 

it’s my first nihonto

your reverse psychology won’t work bugs bunny 

yes i have google the mei of masamune 

and most of the fakes are a strange looking squat mei  too short and too thin 

the left half of the masa is cut off by the mekugi  

it was sold by a verifiable collector who has never sold a fake and gathered shin gunto and koto era blades for years 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, parry more said:

i already said it two times not for sale even if one of you did want to buy it  😆

and if it was real

and you wanted to steal it your gonna have to learn to use a boat to find me 

it’s my first nihonto

your reverse psychology won’t work bugs bunny 

yes i have google the mei of masamune 

and most of the fakes are a strange looking squat mei  too short and too thin 

the left half of the masa is cut off by the mekugi  

it was sold by a verifiable collector who has never sold a fake and gathered shin gunto and koto era blades for years 

I think you will find that this board will be of much use to you if you respect the knowledgeable members that frequent it (not me, just friendly advice). Coming in aggressive and immediately going into defense mode is never a good idea with anything in life.  

With that being said the odds of getting a bargain big-name smith is on par with winning the lottery, it's possible but extremely unlikely. Certainly won't happen from a dealer that you say is knowledgeable...

All the best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, parry more said:

I must 

state my name is anonymous and location etc  for my protection

Seen the ol Masamune can was getting kicked again and thought here we go again

Them i read the above statement....thank you lord ...there is still entertainment on NMB other than laugh of the day. 

Got to love them guys...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Online resizing of pics is easy, just Google free online image resizer.
Don't get too confused over the term fake.
There are multiple variations of "fake" in Japanese swords. There are Chinese copies (no-one is saying this is one of them)
Then there are gimei (made by a smith other than the signature on it) which is very possible here.
Then there are altered swords where a mei is removed and another one added (unlikely here)
And there are swords made new to look older, with spurious signatures (unlikely here)
So an old sword with a fake signature is still a real sword. It could be that, or another Masamune. The nakago looks horrible to be honest. Please post a clear pic of the whole thing. Someone has done some really nasty stuff to it.
Doesn't look like regular corrosion. But post more pics, I am sure the toothpaste tube isn't empty yet?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, without having actually seen the blade, one cannot allow oneself an opinion, even if the Sugata to be seen does not remind one of the late Kamakura.

But what I would actually expect, especially if one suspects a first-class swordsmith based on a signature, would be that even if the polish is no longer in such a good state of preservation, one can still definitely see the tremendous potential of an above-average quality of excellent work.

For example: hey guys, look at the tremendous luminosity of the Nie, it sprays into Ha and Ji and lies over the entire blade like morning dew. The Hamon seems to be full of Hataraki. Even in that state I can see enormous chikei. Moreover, the tang carries the signature ...xy, what is your opinion?

But there is nothing to read about it here (but also often in similar posts).

The cause may be that existing quality is not recognized, or that the necessary quality is simply not present.

This is why excellent photos are so important. Also because many experienced people here with appropriate quality of the heart rises and one could certify you without envy a possible good quality, or at least a certain potential. No matter if Gimei or not (or another Masamune).

Also, it would be a good way (for starters) not to spend hours on Gimei, but to learn what distinguishes good blades.

Then you can often answer some questions for yourself already.

That's all.

;-)

• Like 3

Is this your sword? I thought that it looked familiar earlier, this is one of many gimei Masamune I receive photos of on an ongoing basis. There is no reason to research whether it is another missing Masamune. It is wrong for many reasons, including the fact that it is signed katana-mei and does not remotely resemble authentic examples of what we know his mei and ubu nakago to look like. There is just a single signed Masamune daito, and it is a tachi. There is another ubu (but mumei) blade, a kodachi, which gives us further insight into his ubu nakago. This isn't close in any respect. 

PSX_20221114_085421.png

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 2

It's also not remotely Soshu. I can't see one thing there at all to even closely resemble a top sword. Sorry.
Nakago is ruined, Nakago jiri is altered, yasurime are not very old and it isn't shortened as mentioned, so it's a short katana.

• Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Utopianarian said:

One man’s Gimei is another man’s treasure…

Indeed. And it is not my intention to belittle anyone's find. However there are incorrect statements and information above such as this being a 'cut down tachi', that this may be one of the '50 masamune swords probably left' and it would be productive to check the lists to see which one this is. None of which lines up with reality. There is nothing wrong with owning, and loving, a gimei blade. It's just important to have a clear understanding of what a sword actually is. Markus Sesko has an excellent book on this topic I am sure Parry would benefit from reading.

https://www.lulu.com/shop/markus-sesko/masamune-ebook/ebook/product-17qy7e77.html?page=1&pageSize=4

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ray Singer said:

It's just important to have a clear understanding of what a sword actually is. Markus Sesko has an excellent book on this topic I am sure Parry would benefit from reading.

https://www.lulu.com/shop/markus-sesko/masamune-ebook/ebook/product-17qy7e77.html?page=1&pageSize=4

Hello Ray,

I agree, Marcus Sesko's book is a wonderful refrence.

It's very important to know what a sword actually is and if the smith used alias names.

The swordsmith we are speaking of made a secret play sword. I could not use O-suriage, mumei, or katana to describe the missing Masamune.
I have never seen a description directly written by an authorative figure from the Tokugawa family stating "we want this back" "description given".
In the US, if something is lost we tell what we lost. I am the type of person to give it back if you prove it's yours publicly.
Forget the millions its worth. 

I would like a public "Thank You for returning such n such sword". 
Sadly, I don't think that's in the plans. 
To link Masamune with another name would be embarrassing. 
Secrets run deep in Japan. Especially secrets that would uncover that Masamune probably was never a mei on a Masamune sword.....
Stephen T.

A word of WARNING Niel. There are computer experts out there who can track your address down by hacking into your computer . Saying that you are from Antarctica will not fool these people. Just ask Adam from Honiton about this.  If burly mercinaries, with South African accents ,burst into your home one night and take your sword don't say that no one here tried to warn you  .

Ian Brooks

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..