Tsuba looking for a Mimi ;o)

tsuba like this from time to time, the Echizen Kinai group also made them. I agree it does look a bit odd but it is possible it was made this way. The ones I have seen have a radiated mon design or something that looks more in place. I have also seen a horse and ox motif that has a partial or no mini on more than one occasion. Here is another example, though this has a patical mimi.

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b75656106

The tsuba linked by Martin above was also on Yahoo Japan last month.

Cheers

Richard

Honestly I also don´t think that this was part of the Tsubakos design.

At least I never saw anything comparable with those sharp edges and looking at the design "something" is missing as Milt pointed out.

cheers,

Martin

Basically a tsuba was a practical part of arms rather than an art. The shape of the tsuba in question looks inappropriate for practical use to me.

If it was an original shape, I am afraid that it often caught samurai's sleeve in his daily life. :oops:

Koichi brings up a good point. If a 'tsuba' does not fulfill it's function then it is not a tsuba. Sometimes in shinsa a piece is rejected because even though it looks like a tsuba it is actually an artwork and will not function as a tsuba. Some late Edo pieces which were made as presentation pieces and are not mountable fit this category. If you can't mount it on a sword and use it then it is not a tsuba and it will be rejected by the shinsa team.

Basically a tsuba was a practical part of arms rather than an art. The shape of the tsuba in question looks inappropriate for practical use to me.

If it was an original shape, I am afraid that it often caught samurai's sleeve in his daily life. :oops:

Good point Koichi, and one I suspect is correct. I am unsure of the rust thoery but it may be right. Enough rust to warrant the removal of a mimi would have I would of thought, effected other parts of the tsuba s well. Maybe another form of damage ?

Also, if the mimi was removed, it was done rather carefully. and thirdly, why would you bother if it was damaged ?

All interesting questions in regards to a rather uninteresting tsuba. Still, I never underestimate the Japanese aesthetic, it is always full of surprises.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

So where is it's mimi ?, and yes, I would suspect this would get caught in the sleaves as Koichi san suggested, but I think this is very much an intentional design. As I said, the mimi free tsuba have been seen, and do exist.

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/53-IRON-TSUBA-In-calligraphic-form-Worn-signature_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ28183QQihZ009QQitemZ190139294799QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Whether they are of any practical use, I have no idea.

there are two styles of automobile .......hard top and convertible.

Hard top looks fine, so does a convertible.

But.........

Saw off the top of a hardtop to make it into an instant convertible .......

HIDEOUS !!

milt the ronin

Yes, I agree with Rich that this one was made that way. Very unusual, and still striking.

Looks to have been mounted too, so possibly made for a special occasion or during a time when the sword wasn't carried daily perhaps?

Without a mimi, how difficult is an attribution on it to school?

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..