Source needed for Tsunagi

Another unusual request...Source needed for ready made Tsunagi...I have had custom made ones for swords, of course, but I have several sets of old mounts that need tsunagi for display and other than butchering a tree or two to make my own would anyone know of someone who offers such a thing? It seems that spare mekugi and tsunagi are items commonly needed and someone must make them...Sources, ideas? Could be an opportunity here for an able craftsman. Thanks. Ed

Ed, Just thinking out loud...you don't say if you only have the mounts or you also have their blade?

If the former, I'd think about making a tsunagi that is only say 12" of blade plus an adequate nakago...this way you don't have to interfere with the saya or tsuka. You can make the short blade/nakago tsunagi and it will hold everything together just fine for display (I used to make them out of good dry balsa wood...worked fine and being softer than the saya and tsuka wood they would compress a little and sit "firm" in the saya/tsuka).

If the latter, and you have a blade then I don't have to tell you you can order the tsunagi blanks from one of those sites and trace out the blade on it and then shave the blank until the sori, niku and nakago etc are a snug fit.

Good luck,

George and all who replied, thanks for the advice.. I have several sets of complete mounts languishing that would benefit from an inexpensive tsunagi and nothing that requires a custom made one... I'll try a couple ideas presented here and see what happens. Ed

Dear Ed

Here is a thought.

Set the saya onto a long strip of paper.

This will allow you to trace the shape/curvature.

Use a long thin rod to determine the length inside the saya.

Use a caliper to measure the thickness and width at the koiguchi.

Use this information to modify the tracing from the saya.

Then use the thin rod to measure the length inside the tsuka.

Use the caliper to measure the thickness and width at the fuchi opening.

Add this information to the modified tracing from the saya.

If the length on the saya is reduced by about 1-3 cm then a blank tsunagi

can be easily made.

You then take the blank and file to fit. Takes a little bit of time but works.

I have ho-wa and can make the blanks if you are interested.

Cost $50 each or you buy a stick of ho-wa ($100 each) and you cut??

You can also use popular or ash.

later

david mcdonald

jswords@mcn.net

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..