One more question about Mei

PatrikD

Patrik,

the photos of the blade are off focus, but the MEI is quite clear. Have you tried the KANJI charts here on NMB? Looks like MUNEKAZU. Unfortunately, I have no books to confirm. May be a MINO SEKI blade from WWII. Is there any kind of a stamp on the NAKAGO?

Patrik,

I wasn't asking for some 'text' but for a stamp. The photos do not show the NAKAGO clear enough to decide if there might be a SEKI stamp or another one above the MEKUGI ANA. Many WWII blades have stamps, and as the HAMON might be oil quenched (which is not easy to decide because of the pictures being off), this could help to assign the blade to a production time.

Taking good photos of blades is indeed an art, but the crafts part of it can be learned. The first rule is: Never content yourself with a bad photo! If you look around in the archives here on NMB, you will find the threads dealing especially with this subject.

Dear Patrik

They are two smiths Munekazu that worked in Musashi

1st gen

worked in Edo 1854-1861

also signed Honjo ju Matsuura Jibe Mukoyama Munekazu

and oite Saihi Hirado Minamoto Munekazu tankore

2nd gen

worked in Edo 1864

signed Getsu Shinsai Munekazu

Hope this helps

david mcdonald

jswords@mcn.net

thanks, i gonna try to take a photo again, but its sooooo difficult to take photos of a blade, have any good ideas to get it right?

No there is no more text on the nakago

Best Regards

Patrik

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..